Ending one (part two): Do I love you?

They had been traveling until it was sunset, then they found a tree to climb into to rest for the night. Bad spread his wings out to cover the space in between the trees where they could fall off. Skeppy, who had been sleeping in Bad's arms for most of the walk, was on the lookout first. They settled into the spot where they were, Bad gaining a few splinters from scooting back with his hands.

"I hope this isn't one of those trees with ants in it," Skeppy said.

"This tree doesn't have any ants in it," Bad replied.

"What about beetles? Do you think there are beetles?"

"No, Skeppy." Bad said.

"Oooh, what about spiders? Spiders go in trees, right?" Skeppy asked.

"Skeppy I'm trying to go to sleep." Bad said, facing away from him and closing his eyes.

"Am I making you paranoid? I'm sorry." Skeppy said.

"It's fine, just no more talking about bugs." Bad said. Skeppy nodded and laid back against one of the tree branches. He soon heard the gentle snoring of Bad and turned to face him. The fact that he could go to sleep so easily was amusing to him.

His eyes trailed over to his wing. He grazed his fingers over the diamond that was there. They tingled as they touched. He pulled them away and looked at them. Nothing looked wrong. He wondered why that happened before, why it had stung him. He concluded that that was just how it worked.

He wanted to curl back into Bad's arms, but he figured that that would make him just fall straight through the tree's branches. Skeppy didn't know why he wanted to be so close to Bad all the time. He didn't know why he wanted to lay with him like how lovers do. Maybe it was because he loved him. But that was just a forward possibility. He's only known Bad for a few months. Wouldn't that be insanely fast-paced?

He didn't love Bad yet, he knew that. But maybe, he liked him. Liked him like he would if they were in a relationship together. He leaned over to reach for Bad's hand that was laying on his stomach. He intertwined their fingers, not putting too much force, but just enough to feel Bad's warmth in the night. Now that he thought about it, it was kind of cold. He still didn't have his jacket.

He really should have grabbed it before he got out. But it was a lost cause now. He leaned back onto the branch and looked down to the forest floor below. He really hoped that Jane didn't find an extra map that Jake had. That would be the only way that she could find them now. She couldn't have possibly followed the flight that Bad took. The thought of being found is what kept Skeppy up. He had to be a good lookout.

Soon it was morning again. Skeppy shook Bad's shoulders, "get up, let's go!" Bad woke up panicked.

"What is it Skeppy?" Bad said, sitting straight up.

"Let's watch the sunrise together!" Skeppy said.

Bad wiped his eyes, "you want to watch the sunrise?" Bad asked. Skeppy nodded.

"Okay, Geppy." Bad said as he yawned. Skeppy carefully stood up on the tree and started to find sturdy branches to step on. Bad went to the opposite side of the tree to climb and then they both were on the highest parts of the tree, looking in the direction of the sun.

"Look Skeppy, it's coming up!" Bad said, pointing at it.

"Yep Bad, it is." Skeppy said. The two of them stood in comforting silence, just watching the sunrise. Well, one of them was watching the sunrise. Skeppy was too focused on Bad's excited face. The sun shown on his face as the oranges and yellows started to rise and seemingly disappear into the sky as the sun rose higher. Then Skeppy saw something slide down Bad's face. Not rain.