Chapter 23:

Inej gasped but didn't say anything. She didn't know what Kaz planned with Albie but she knew that she could trust Kaz to at least not harm the kid. 

Kaz looked at her, then turned his gaze to that of Pekka Rollins. 

The boat, aided by Zoya's wind and Nikolai and Wylan's rowing glided through the water and into a dark canal. 

Wylan lit a light, as Nikolai watched Kaz in a sort of wonder. 

Pekka Rollins' face was one of dismay, one of anger. 

"Whatever you have against me, Brekker. Leave the kid out of it. He's innocent. " Rollins growled. Doughty mewled. 

Just then, Albie gave a cry, "Papa papa!" Then the child started to sob and snivel. 

Kaz nudged Albie with his cane. "Shut up!" 

Then, with his face of disgust, he lean down, towards the bottom of the boat where Pekka Rollins and Doughty sat. 

"Trust me, Pekka Rollins. One thing that I will never fail to do is to ensure that your sins are paid to the tenfold. " Then, leaning even closer, that only Pekka Rollins could hear, he said. 

"Do you remember my brothers name?" Kaz crooned. "Just say the word and you'll be free. "

He leaned back and waited, his head cocked and the only thing giving away his emotions was the tight gripping of his hand on the crows head and his cold eyes filled with hate. 

Wylan looked at Kaz. He knew what was going to happen. Kaz had told him ahead of time, and now he was afraid. He had heard that low note, in Kaz's voice tonight, the one that meant that the matter was personal. He didn't want to do what he was going to do, but he was going to do it. 

Zoya's hair was set on edge, as she studied small Albie. How Kaz had acquired him, she didn't know. She didn't want to admit it, but she tensed at Brekker's demeanor. She looked at Nikolai, who was passive, waiting almost. 

"Don't remember, don't you?" Kaz continued to murmur as Pekka Rollins squeezed his mind for the name. Doughty had blacked out and Pekka Rollins hands where balled into fists. 

Suddenly, Pekka Rollins lashed out, his hands reaching for Albie. Quickly, Kaz knocked his cane into his outstretched arms, and the sound of cracking wrist bones echoed through the night. Albie cried again whilst Pekka Rollins cradled his broken arm. 

"Don't forget, " Kaz sneered. "I don't want you to ever forget. Now. Watch. "

Pekka Rollins trembled at the knowledge that Kaz was going to hurt or kill Albie. He sniveled and moved painfully into a kneeling position. 

"Please, Kaz, leave my son out of this! " He begged some more and tried to close his eyes but forced himself to watch as Kaz picked up the struggling Albie and suspended him over the deep sea waters of the canal.