⁰²⁹ the world is so small, 'til it ain't

❝ it's a creepy shop, he's a creepy bloke ! ❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

   IT FELT WEIRD TO BE BACK ON THE HOGWART'S EXPRESS without her brother.  it felt like a dream. a nightmare, at that. she wished someone would just pinch her already and she could wake up— and go back to her happy, normal life.

but she was stuck.
this was her life now.

it was even worse when people looked at her. they looked at her like they knew. and she knew that they knew, but it was worse when they looked at her. when they looked at her like she was some sort of alien— or like they wanted to hug her.

she didn't want to hug them.
she didn't want their pity.
she didn't want any of this.

and in that moment, as she wandered down the aisles in search for her friends, she realised that she had reached stage two of her grief.

the anger stage.

she wanted to hit something.

she was trying to adjust to a new reality and experiencing extreme emotional discomfort—there was so much to process that she felt that anger allowed her an emotional outlet.

"..hi." harry waved timidly, as he caught sight of the blonde girl.

"hi." maeve nodded.

"hi." ron said uneasily.

it was clear to maeve that neither one of the boys knew what to say. and she didn't blame them, if she was them, she wouldn't either.

"guys, i'm fine, okay?" the blonde lied. "just— act normal, please? i don't think i'll be able to cope otherwise. i really don't want to talk about this right now."

                 they gave a small nod, trying to engage into a normal conversation— all the while still sending her a few worried looks every now and then.

and then there was hermione.

maeve had to admit, her heart skipped a beat when she saw her again. it was as if she had gotten even more gorgeous over the summer. if that was even physically possible.

and the letter. she didn't want to talk about the letter, but she did at the same time. she wanted to talk to hermione about what they were— but she didn't want the awkward 'um' type conversation.

but it gave her a slight bit more of confidence when she remembered that hermione hadn't read her letter yet— as it was still in the pocket of her bag. she clutched it tighter to her then, offering the girl a small smile— which she reciprocated.

she didn't know what to say, and she certainly wasn't going to start up the conversation.

she sat beside hermione, instead of opposite so that she could avoid her gaze. but even then, she could feel her eyes on her.

"so, what were they doing with that weird looking cabinet?" harry asked, as the train rolled on its tracks, speeding towards the castle. "and who were all those people? it looked like some sort of initiation."

"stop it, harry. i know where you're going with this." hermione shook her head disapprovingly.

"it's happened. he's one of them."

"sorry, what's going on..?" maeve asked, totally confused— as she had not gone to fred and george's new jokeshop with them at the end of summer.

"harry is under the impression that draco malfoy is a death eater." hermione informed.

"you're barking." ron chuckled. "what would you-know-who want with a sod like malfoy?"

"well, what is he doing in borgin and burke's?" the boy reasoned. "browsing for furniture?"

"it's a creepy shop. he's a creepy bloke." ron shrugged.

"their father is a deatheater. it only makes sense."

maeve was about to speak, but then stopped after this— her blood pumping around her body faster as she felt rage building up inside of her at the mention of death eaters. her mind wandered to dolohov, and she almost squeezed her bottle of water into a pulp.
yup, definitely in the anger stage.

"hermione even saw it with her own eyes!" harry added.

"i told you, i don't know what i saw." the muggle-born corrected.

"i need some air." harry sighed, standing up and getting out of the compartment.

"i'm gonna go and find the trolley witch." ron said, sitting up aswell and leaving.

"so..." hermione mumbled once the two girls were left all alone, the awkward tension soon filling up their train compartment.

standing up abruptly, maeve panicked. "—erm, i'm going to speak to ginny and luna. see how they're doing... you know, and how luna's getting on and everything. i feel terrible now for not answering their letters— am i a bad person? merlin, i am a bad person—" she began to babble, and hermione offered her a small, sympathetic smile.

"you're not a bad person, maeve."

instead of replying, the blonde just handed her the envelope out of her bag. "what i wanted to say— erm, it's all in here. i didn't want to send it through the mail."

hermione didn't have time to say anything before the compartment door slid closed, the foster girl hurrying off to allow her to read it on her own.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

lara speaks this was kinda short
but we move

lara speaks this was kinda short but we move