As he stands up, a lot of bruises reveal themselves all over his torso.

I can hardly believe my eyes. He did it. JJ has gone home. And his father did it again. Worse than ever.

"I got a hot tub!" continues JJ. "For my friends. I got a hot tub for my friends. You know what? No, you know what? Screw friends. I got a hot tub for my family!" he says in a crying voice.

"JJ, what the hell?" says Kiara in shock.

"I got this for you. Guys, look what I did for you! All right? Look at this! Look at this!" JJ screams and points around.

"JJ" cries Kie.

"No, you stop being emotional. It's fine, okay?" says JJ, smiling. But under the smile is only pain, and his voice breaks.

He looks down sobbing and takes a deep breath. "I mean it's sweet, right? Everything-" he cries, and Kiara makes her way to him.
"-just get in!"

Kiara pulls him into a tight hug. And he sobs into her shoulder.

"I just couldn't do it!" he cries. "I can't take him anymore!" cries JJ, crying. "I was gonna kill him."

I look at the two of them in shock. I know how JJ is feeling right now, because I have been through this with him many times. But this time it's different. Worse. And I would want to be in his arms more than anything. Reassure him. Be there for him.

But I can't. I don't know exactly why, but I can't. He has left me. And broke my heart.

Meanwhile, Pope also walks up to the two, and hugs JJ. "I just wanna do the right thing," JJ cries.

"I know, i know." Kiara reassures.

JJ's eyes wander for a moment to me, with tears in my eyes. But I break eye contact by walking a few steps away to the car.

JJ's heart is more than broken. And it kills him to see me like this, and to know that he is to blame.

-----————————-

"Em? He wants you to stay." says Pope, coming to the car with Kiara.

"What?"

"He wants you here," Kiara says.

"No, no, I-I can't, I-"

"Emilia, I'm serious. He needs you. No matter what he did to you, please stay. You don't have to talk to him either, just stay with him." says Pope.

"I-"

"Please." Kiara looks me in the eye, and I walks over to JJ.

He's sitting in the hot tub, staring intently into the water. But then he looks up, and sees me coming toward him.

"Mia." he says, surprised.

I climb into the hot tub and sit on the side. "Hey."

"I'm sorry, you--you don't have to stay if you don't want to."

"I want to, JJ." I murmur. I just can't help but comfort him. "JJ, it won't be like this forever."

"What do you mean?"

"Your dad. You will get rid of him."

JJ looks up at me. "It's just, I can't stand him anymore. He—-he kills me."

"I know, J. I know what you mean."

"And there was this one moment, very short, I thought, I thought he was proud of me and-" JJ cries.

"And you just want him to be proud of you, am I right? That he loves you and is happy about you." I say, and JJ nods. "But you have to stop wanting that, JJ. As hard as it sounds. You're better off without him. You know that."

"I know." nods JJ.

"You'll get rid of him. You'll be happy, J. And then we'll go to Yucatan, and live our best lives." I smile.

He looks up at me, and gets tears in his eyes right back. "Look, Mia, I'm sorry. I'm so fucking sorry." he sobs.

"For what?" I ask.

"For what I said." he looks me in the eye.

"I know, but honestly.... JJ, that hurt. More thank you can think." I look up at him with glazed eyes. "I thought you'd want to do better this time."

JJ looks hurt at me. "I wanted to. I still want to. I just didn't know what to say. I thought I was going to lose everyone, and then-- then I did."

"I--I don't want to be the one to bring you down even more, JJ. I know how shitty you are right now. And I want to be there for you, but-- but I've just developed feelings for you. And I really believed you when you said that you're in love with me. It was hard to believe, but I did. And apparently it was all a fucking lie, so--"

"Are you serious? Look, I'm really not good at this kind of thing. You know that. And I've never had a conversation like this before, I— I don't even know how to do it, but— but— what I do know is that with you, I've experienced the best moments in my life."

I get a slight tingle in my stomach from his words.

"You— you're just always there when I need someone. You— you listen to me when I don't even know what I'm talking about myself. Just like— like right now." JJ looks to me with a smile.
"I've never felt about anyone the way I feel about you, Mia, believe me. And, and I don't know what exactly this is either, but I know I want it."

I look at JJ with a smile and tears in my eyes. "You're an idiot." I sob, with a smile on my lips.

JJ smiles at me, and leans in, kissing me gently. He puts his hand to my cheek and I fully enjoy the moment.

"But this idiot loves you, really. And he needs you." JJ looks into my eyes.

"Well, he already has me." I smile.

That's all JJ wanted. Everything he needed and wished for.