𝟹𝟶

WATER

"What night?" asks John b curious.

"It all came back to her." JJ turns to the house.
"When Hollis was six years old, she heard her parents arguing downstairs. So she goes downstairs to see her mom washing her hands in a sink.... full of blood." JJ moves closer to John b.
"Her mom just says she cut her finger. The next morning, she says her dad and her split up. But then, Hollis noticed something. Her mother going into the parlour constantly, in and out and in and out with plastic bags. Weeks pass, and Hollis decided to use the outhouse. And as she's using it, she looks down, and there, in the outhouse, is her father's head, looking straight back at her." JJ points to his eyes with his two fingers as he looks at John B.

"God, you are so full of shit." Sighs John B.

"Yeah he is. You're scaring me." I say to the blonde.

"Dude, I swear to God, man."

"Did she call the police?" Asks Pope.

"She didn't have time to-"

"Wait! Dude!" JJ runs to John b who is on his way to the house.

"What?"

"You sure you wanna do this? She's an axe murderer, man. You got a cast on." JJ looks his friend in the eye.

"I don't give a shit if she's an axe murderer, okay? I got nothin to lose, right? You comin or what?"

"Come on." Mumbles Kie. JJ and I are the only ones to stop short.

"You scared the shit out of me." I murmur to him.

"Sorry... hey- hey wait..." JJ holds me back by my shoulder. He looks at me and I look back, expectantly. „What?" I ask. „N—nothing forget it" he then mumbles and goes on.

I don't really know what that was right now. Maybe he wanted to talk about yesterday.. but that's just not like him, talking about feelings. I don't know yet if I like what happened last night, that I get back involved with him. And above all, I have a boyfriend. What will he do when he finds out what happened?
What I do know is that I have a big crush on the Maybank boy. But that's nothing new. I just don't want to admit it to myself, because of Rafe.

"Hey, come on, come here." John b whispers and we squat into a circle. "So here's the plan. We need to look for the wheat near the water like it said in Denmark's letter."

"Okay, like, what kind of water? Like, pond water?" Pope questions as JJ chuckles.

"Bong water?" Everyone turns to JJ with a confused look. "Dude-" I sigh.

"It-it just said look for water, okay?" John b clarifies.

"That's the shittiest secret message ever." Says Kie as she then continues.

"You wanna complain a little more, Kie? Nobody said it was gonna be easy." John b follows Kiara as Pope turns to JJ and me.

"I'll search the northeast quadrant, you search the northwest quadrant." Says Pope when JJ looks over at me for a moment.

"The decapitation quadrant." JJ points to the spot.

"JJ!" I wave the boy over.

"Hey, shh! Hey, come on. It's the only place we haven't looked." John b squats in front of a hinged door.

"Oh, shit..." JJ comes over, stumbling because a bird attacked him.

"You just want people to make fun of you, don't you?" I look back at him. "No, I'm the one who makes people laugh. It's a gift." He says confidently.