Major Myer

Nyx

Being surprised by Tate Ilsley was quickly becoming a common occurrence. Because not once, in the million different ways I played out her reacting to my offer, did I expect her to nod and turn to Nesta to ask when we would leave. 

Hell, I still wasn't even over the fact that I was considering it myself, let alone that my mother was okay with it. I didn't even want to imagine what my dad had to of said to convince her that this was anything but a terrible idea. But here we were, her seemingly ready to send me off at a moments notice, and me, weighing the pros and cons of this mission. 

Pro, I could work on my political talents and develop my coercion skills. 

Con, I would most likely get murdered while there. 

Pro, if I were to succeed in getting Hybern to sign a treaty, it would earn me major respect points from Prythian's other High Lords. Not that I cared what they thought about me, I didn't want to be a High Lord. I didn't. 

Con, I would most likely get murdered while there. 

Pro, I'd be in forced, close proximity with Tate. Because damn if every time she insulted me I didn't become more and more intrigued with her. And she was gorgeous, there was also that. 

Con, I would most likely get murdered while there. 

And yet, here I was, practically all but starting to pack my bags to head to Hybern. 

I zoned back into the conversation as I heard my father tell Tate we would leave in two days time. 

I kept mostly silent as the group hammered out any extra details. Tate asked lots of questions. I was tempted to doze off, knowing she would ask more than enough questions for the both of us. She was so tightly coiled it was a miracle she didn't start shredding the couch cushions. I suppose Nesta's star student would have to be an over achiever. 

It was only when Nesta, Cassian, and Tate had excused themselves, that I began to ask my own burning questions. 

"What needs of mine does this mission meet exactly?"

My father regarded me with an indecipherable expression. 

"I'm not sure what you mean." I rolled my eyes. So we were playing dumb then. 

"You said the proposition met both our needs, referring to myself and Tate."

"Ah yes, I did say that." His eyes shone with amusement. 

"You did," I gritted out. 

"I think this will be a wonderful opportunity to grow as a future leader. Which is something you do, in fact, need." 

"Am I being punished for something?" I question, leaning forward in my seat, hating his smug expression. I glance to my fathers right where my mother is chewing on her lip, eyes jumping between to the two of us. 

"Is there something you think you should be punished for?" My father challenges. Now it's his turn to lean forward and my mind begins screaming; Trap! Trap! 

Knowing I won't get anywhere with my father, I turn to my mother. 

"So you're okay with this?" I'm not angry, just genuinely surprised that my mother would agree to this. Especially when I remember what uncle Cass had told me of the last time she visited Hybern. Cassian had deliberately left some information out, but told me enough to understand that my families hatred for the High Lord of the Spring Court is more than justifiable, and that my mother would not be returning to Hybern any time soon. Neither would my aunts.