Self Harm & Teens Part Two

IMPORTANT: I DO NOT AGREE WITH SOME OF THE INFORMATION IN THE ARTICLE SO PLEASE PAY MOST ATTENTION TO THIS CHAPTER RATHER THAN THE LINK!

=====================================

CHAPTER RESOURCE: 

https://www.verywellmind.com/teen-cutting-and-self-harm-behaviors-2633862

=====================================

"Cutting is a type of self-harm in which teens deliberately cut or scratch themselves with knives, razor blades, or other sharp objects, but not with any intention of trying to commit suicide.
Other self-harm behaviors can include head-banging, branding or burning their skin, overdosing on medications, and strangulation.
These behaviors are more common than you might think with an estimated range of 6.4% to 30.8% of teens admitting to trying to harm themselves."

"Parents and pediatricians often have a hard time understanding why teens would cut or do other things to harm themselves. Not surprisingly, cutting is a complex behavioral problem and is often associated with a variety of psychiatric disorders, including depression, anxiety, and eating disorders. Teens who cut themselves are more likely to have friends who cut themselves, low self-esteem, a history of abuse, and/or thoughts of committing suicide."

--  This does not mean that only people with friends who cut or a history of abuse harm themselves.

"While it is sometimes seen as an attention-seeking behavior, cutting is a way for kids to release tension, relieve feelings of sadness or anger, or distract themselves from their problems."

"Cutting is most common in teens and young adults—especially among teen girls—and often starts around age 12-14."

--  This does not mean that adults, children, and men cannot cut. 

For Parents:
"If you think that your child is cutting, ask them about it gently. If the answer is yes, it's important not to get mad or overreact. You don't want to make them feel bad for doing it. Keep in mind that cutting is often a symptom of a larger problem, and you, as a parent, can help your child figure out the underlying cause by seeking professional help."