Ch. 38; Evolution

Hange and Magath both stood up and got out of their cart, "C'mon, let's go scout out the area and prepare for battle, leave the carts", Hange said as she turned away, running towards the hill that was just next to the port. Aila jumped out of the cart, grabbing onto Annie and lifting her, setting her down gently. Hange and Magath scouted from above on top of the hill while the others stood at the foot of the hill, waiting for orders. Hange and Magath ordered them to prepare for battle, "Alright, we have to kill them all at once, it's the only way to secure the ship. We'll use the power of all our titans as well as your thunder spears and blades to do it", Aila said as she took off her cloak, tossing it to the side. Annie and Ymir were checking their gear, making sure it was in tact. Sasha shot up from her seat, "Wait! We can't do that without securing the Azumabito who are in the Harbor" "She's right, we can't risk getting our only foreign ally caught in the crossfire", Mikasa backed her. Annie rested her hand on her chin, thinking for a moment, "Shit, they're right, and we need their mechanics to get the flying boat up and going right Onyonkapon?" "Yeah, I should be able to pilot the flying boat on my own, but without their mechanics, it's nothing more than a wingless ship. It's wings are now folded so that it is easier to haul on the seas, and of course, it will take more for it to fly than simply extending those wings. My understanding is that the plan was for it to be operable only after taking it into a hangar, preforming a service inspection, and conducting flight training", Onyonkapon explained. Ymir stood up and turned to him, "About how long would that take?" "I don't know, it's up to the Azumabito", Onyonkapon responded as he scratched his head. Aila sighed, "So, we need to protect the flying boat and the Azumabito while also buying enough time for the ship to be serviced... this is gonna be a shit show", Annie grabbed onto her hand, "Just... just don't die.. ok? All of you... I better see you all on the boat", they all smiled at her and nodded. SHHHHHHHHHCKKK! Hange and Magath came sliding down the hill, "Time is running out for humanity, I could see the titans moving forwards off the shore as they gave off a massive amount of steam, judging by their speed... they've already arrived on the continent of Marley. Marley's cities to the northeast, the ones closest to us, must have been annihilated by now", Hange said in a low and disturbed voice. Silence filled the area, as horror and thoughts of the mass murder occurring in their heads echoed.

Annie began to shake with fear, her eyes were holding back the tears that tried so hard to escape her eyes, Aila clenched onto her hand, "He's ok, I know it", she said as she smiled softly at her wife. Annie relaxed a bit, smiling back and nodding at her, "I didn't think they'd cross the ocean this fast, in this case, the other continents don't have long either, who knows how many have been killed already", Hange said as she looked down at her feet in regret. Nanaba rested her hand on her shoulder, trying her hardest to comfort her. Hange rested her own hand on hers, smiling at her, THWACK! Suddenly, Magath had rushed over to Yelena and grabbed her face, pinning her against the wall and slamming his foot against her arm, breaking it. "MMMMGH!", Yelena screamed through Magath's hand in pain, "Tell me were Eren Jaeger is. Every time you don't tell me, you're discovering a new direction your arm can move in" "MAGATH!", Gelgar shouted as he ran towards him, pulling him off of her. Yelena panted from the pain she was in, "Don't be scared, I won't kill you", Magath said as he tried to fight off Gelgar, letting go of Yelena in the process. She smiled in fear and pain, "That's a relief, I've changed my mind, I don't want to die until I see what happens here. Take me with you... and I just might tell you.. where Eren went", she said weakly, a tear streamed down her cheek. "We need to secure the flying boat first, this is no time for torture", Gelger said as he gripped onto Magath. Magath looked up at the other hill where Gabi was keeping watch and relaxed, his face filled with guilt and pain. When Gelgar let go, he walked over to the others, "Connie, Armin, Jean, Mikasa, Sasha, Aila, Ymir... I want to apologize.. for my behavior last night, we... were mistaken. I was being flippant when I spoke about justice, that was.. an unseemly attempt on my part to justify my actions, even now. I was afraid of having to look at myself because it'd mean seeing everything contemptable about Marley. This isn't your responsibility, it's wrong to place the sins of the past on your shoulders just because of your race. Pieck, Annie, there's no reason for you to be burdened with this world's hatred either... but.. we have a responsibility to make sure that future generations learn about this foolish bloodstained history of ours. Eren Jaeger wants to erase everything... and that is unforgivable. This hell will never end so long as we keep pretending to ignore our foolish actions", Magath said shakily. And to everyone's surprise, he bowed before them, "So please, just for now, close your eyes to my own foolish acts". They all stood in surprise, dumbfounded that the man who once hated them with every fiber of his being, was apologizing to them.