Chapter 1

All Harry wanted to do was take a late-night drive. A goddamn drive. Not get thrown into some government conspiracy or find a superpowered kid. He never intended that night to become something more than clearing his head after a long day of school and studying. But no, he always has to find himself getting into something he shouldn't.

Harry set off from his house at around 9 pm. The light patter of rain on the nearly silent road was only making his thought spiral faster. His mind was a swirling mess. He was studying for a huge chemistry test coming up and now Harry really had to start writing uni applications. His mum, Anne was trying her best to keep in touch with his life but somedays she would be so swamped with her work that he barely saw her.

Gemma, Harry's older sister, was off at school. She was an extraordinary student and Harry was really proud to be her brother but sometimes he wished he could live up to her standard. She was accepted to some of the best schools in the UK and the United States. Now she was off somewhere in New York studying journalism.

Harry pressed the gas peddle down harder as he sped along the road. The rain had begun to pick up and he had to squint in order to see more clearly. Harry began to take in his surroundings. There were thick woods surrounding the narrow road, a faint flashing light was off in the distance, barely noticeable around the trees.

The rain continued to pelt down as he drove. Harry once again zoned out, his eyes looking onward at the road. His mind fogged up with thoughts of his future and his friends, the feelings he secretly harbored for one of his best mates.

Harry was pulled from his own mind as his phone began to buzz. He glanced down at the bright screen and saw his familiar blonde friend, Niall's face pop up. Harry grabbed his phone and answered.

"Hey Ni." Harry spoke into his phone.

"Do you know what the answer to question 12 is for Mr. Morrison's homework?" Niall's thick Irish accent flittered through the phone.

"Can you read me the question?" Harry asked as he kept his eyes trained on the road as it was getting slick.

"What is the ox-" Niall's voice suddenly cut off and static buzzed through the phone, causing Harry to jump in surprise. His eyes flashing to the phone, which was still connected to the call before Niall's voice cut back in. "-sulfide?"

"What? Sorry, you cut out." Harry said and Niall sighed before static once again took hold of Harry's phone. His eyes immediately flashed to his phone before the call disconnected completely.

The lights on the side of the street began to flicker before burning out entirely, causing Harry to swear under his breath. He was now driving in complete darkness as the rain continued to pelt down against his car roof.

As the street lights suddenly flickered back on, Harry's attention was suddenly back on the road and to the compact form in the middle of the street. He slammed the breaks and his car skitted to a stop, barely missing the figure in front of his car. "Jesus-fucking-Christ!"

Harry immediately pulled his phone out as he unbuckled his seat belt and stumbled out of the car. Rain poured down and matted his curls to his head but Harry just wanted to make sure the person was fine. He turned his phone flashlight on as he hurried to the person standing in front of his car.

"Are you okay?" Harry said quite loudly as the small figure came into light, Harry took in the rugged appearance of them. The person couldn't be more than 14 years old. The poor kid was shivering and wet all over, making the hospital gown (?) stick to his stick-like limbs. His dark hair was plastered against the top of his head as raindrops pour down his face and into his eyes. The dark of the night and the rain made it nearly impossible to be able to see the rest of the kid's features but what Harry did notice was the blood trickling down from the kid's nose and ears.

Harry slowly approached him, which only made the kid stumble back. "Are you okay?" He repeated, softer and more gentle this time. The kid took a few more steps away from Harry. "I'm not going to hurt you. My name is Harry, can you tell me yours?"

The kid stayed silent but from somewhere in the woods there was some rustling of the leaves and a voice began to yell.

"Spread out! He could be anywhere." Beams of light began to sway back and forth from the woods, scanning and searching for something.

Their voices caused the kid to whip his head around, his breathing picking up rapidly before he looked back at Harry. Their eyes connected and Harry knew that he had to help the kid. The poor kid's eyes held so much terror and panic that Harry could almost feel it.

Harry reached forward but before Harry could touch him, the kid scrambled backward and back towards the woods. The light from the streetlamp illuminated the boy's sharp features and his tanned skin. What really concerned Harry was the blood smeared along the gown that basically swallowed the kid in fabric. The blood creased along the boy's nose was smeared all along his face from the rain. His nearly black, wild eyes boring into Harry's own green pools.

"No!" Harry hissed out, which caused the boy to flinch but he didn't move away. "I'll help you. Just please come with me."

The boy seemed to consider this as he looked between Harry and the car before he locked eyes with Harry and nodded. Harry gave him a small smile before he moved to the back seat and popped the door open. The boy quickly scampered into the dry space before Harry quickly shut the door and climbed into the driver's seat and sped off, tires squealing.

Harry took a glimpse into the rearview mirror and saw the boy had tucked himself against the door, his knees drawn up to his chest with the soaked gown pulled over his shaking knees as he tried to conserve what small heat he could manage to conduct. The small-bodied boy was shaking so violently that Harry thought he was seizing.

"There should be a blanket back there if you want it," Harry said, keeping his voice quiet and gentle but still the kid flinched. He cocked his head to the side at Harry's words but he seemed to understand as he reached a skinny arm over and pulled the blanket Harry kept in his backseat over his trembling shoulders. The kid's head dropped against the headrest as he seemed to be fighting to keep his eyes open but they kept dripping closed.

Harry tried to keep his mind on the road but he kept looking back at the small, bloodied kid wearing a hospital gown sitting in his backseat.

Authors Note:

idk if you people would be interested in this type of story. let me know what you think and sorry for any mistakes