|Chapter Four| - Every touch is a redefining phase

| C H A P T E R  F O U R | - Every touch is a redefining phase

⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓ ⚓

2ND OF FEBRUARY 1998

| 10:04 AM |

         "What do you think?"

        Mia turns her neck 90° to the direction of the voice. Evelin stands a few feet away from her, her hands reclining on her hips as she tilts her chin up at a slightly restricted angle, attempting to recreate one of those postures she's seen models do on in her magazines. She wears a crimson top that stops just a little way down her thighs, putting her long tanned legs on full display. Mia suppresses herself from snickering because Evelin looks a little bit ridiculous.

        "I think you forgot to put on a pair of trousers."

        "This is a dress Mia. Who wears trousers with a dress?"

        "But I can see your legs."

        "That's the point."

        "Laila will never let you wear that."

        Evelin sighs and staggers onto her bed. She glances at herself from her bedroom mirror and frowns. "But I have nothing else to wear."

        Mia's eyes skim across the floor, which could hardly be seen underneath layers and layers of clothing. Evelin has mountains of clothes dotting ever inch of the floor. It looks as if a clothing factory has exploded in her bedroom.

        "Be honest with me. Does this make my hips look wider? What about my bum? This dress makes it look bigger, right?" Mia threw a incredulous expression at Evelin before crawling off the bed and rooting towards the exit.

         "I only came because you said you'd give me food," Mia examins the chaotic room, "I don't see any food."

        The teenager looks away, a guilty expression taking over her face, before drooping over her bed and opening a built in draw from the side, "I've got a pack of gum," she offers with a buoyant grin.

        "I don't want gum," Mia says. Mia considers Evelin an idiot if she thought that the nine year old would except a half eaten pack of gum that looks as if it was put into the washing machine way too many times.

        "But I need your help!" Evelin whines, and for a split second, Mia feels a little bit sorry for her. But soon the feeling passed and the urge to get out of the stuffy bedroom submerges. Mia also can not fathom why Evelin wanted her opinion - of all people- on what to wear for some date she had the following day. Because anyone with half a brain would know that Mia Maxwell was definitely not the right person to ask.

        Mia has also observed that Evelin has completely transformed over the past year that she has known her. She's dyed and grew her once-black-hair a light and vibrant gold and instead of caking black make-up all over her face, she stuck to more natural, earthy colours. She turnt from wearing black tops and ripped jeans to crop tops and shorts that show off more skin then they should --much to Laila's annoyance.

        Mia has also noticed that all Evelin talks about these days are boys and what type of handbag suits her lipstick. It was all very odd.

        Evelin sinks deeper into her bed, waving her arms and legs in the air in frustration, "I must be border-line desperate if I'm asking a nine year old," she mutters under her breath, probably not meaning for the nine year old to over-hear.

        Mia nods her head in agreement because, it's true, isn't it? What would she know about what looks good and what doesn't? All Mia's closet consists of are cartoon printed t-shirts and jeans from the boys clothing section, and a few odd skirts and shorts she occasionally slips on when the weather's too hot. The last time Mia wore a dress was at her aunts funeral when she was five. Not a single day since.