Chapter 6

After Mr. Moon's class I was shaky all day. I didn't get homework because most if not all of my classes were tests and presentations. So I called Aaron and asked if he wanted to meet me at our favorite diner for dinner just to get my mind off of everything.

I went down to the diner and sat down at our usual table. Ever since we were 12 we would come and meet here for everything. We would meet here even when we were mad at each other. It was our safe house.

No one from our school seems to ever come here so we don't get bothered. It's usually filled with retired people and their grandkids. Seeing little kids running around takes our minds off of any stress we had.

I sat there and waited for Aaron to show up when a little girl came up to me.

"Hi," She said with her big blue eyes.

"Hi there" I replied with a smile.

"I am Rose. Who are you? You're pretty" She looked at me and I let out a small giggle at her innocence.

"I am Phoenix. Your name is beautiful" I said and she jumped on a chair to sit with me.

"Yeah but but my dumb dot says I have to be a teacher. I wanna sing and dance for people. I wish I didn't have to learn about teaching"

I looked at the little girl whose face lit up when she talked about singing and dancing but fell when she talked about teaching. Then an older woman walked up to us looking at the girl.

"I am so sorry about her. She has too much energy sometimes. '' I am guessing this was her mother or grandmother and Rose hopped off the chair and went towards her.

"It's no problem, she is a joy" I said waving goodbye to Rose as she left to go eat her food that was waiting on the table for her.

I went back to sitting alone and I texted Aaron hoping he was close. A waitress came up to me and I ordered the usual which is a bucket of french fries, a basket of tater tots, and two mint chocolate chip milkshakes.

If I do decide to break the government system then this little girl can live her dream as an entertainer even though her dots says teacher. I thought I would be the only person who would get and advantage from this but there are so many people forced into jobs they'll hate becuase of these dumb dots.

As if on cue I was snapped out of my angry thoughts by food on our table and Aaron coming to sit down.

"You think too much," Aaron said with a joking grin on his face.

"Do I? or do you think too little?" I laugh while dipping my fries in my milkshake.

He laughed back and we just sat there for a little watching kids telling jokes and forgetting that our world was slowly falling apart around us. Until of course Aaron asked the dreaded question.

"So are we gonna do this with or without Mr. Moon?" He said all of a sudden he was seriously dead.

"When did the question go from being, should we do this yes or no, to are we doing this with or without Mr. Moon?" I asked him to match his serious tone.

"When you read that book you knew we were gonna do this you just wouldn't admit it" He said. We both knew he was right, he always was.

I looked at him and he knew I didn't walk to talk about it right now which he understood. We sat quietly for a little while before we went back to our jokes and tricks. This place makes us act like 12 year olds again every single time we walk in the door.

Time flew by and I got a call from my mother saying it was 8 o'clock and she wanted me home soon. Not long after I hung up with my mom Aaron's sister called him asking him to come home and help her with homework. We paid the check, gave the waitress a tip and walked out.

"I'll see you tomorrow and we'll have to talk to Mr. Moon," He said, giving me a hug as a goodbye.

"Okay..." I said I wanted to ignore this whole problem even though I can't.

I went home walking slowly through the woods as usual enjoying my quiet time that I got a few times a day. Then after what felt like forever I got to my house.

"NIXIE'S HOME!" Sophia yelled while jumping into my arms.

I helped Soph in my arms and said hello to my mother as she finished cleaning up their dinner. Sophia looked at me with wide eyes and begged me to make cookies with her. It was 8:30 so I promised her we could do it tomorrow and that I would be home early to make sure it happens.

I put down Sophia and told her to go finish her homework because I knew she didn't do it. After she ran off to bring her homework to the table so that mom could help her. I went over to my mother and told her that I would finish the Dishes so she could help Sophia. She didn't fight me on it because she knew it was pointless.

After my Dad died I started doing a lot more because mom lost most of her energy. It never really bothered me too much because I would pick up more chores so Mom could raise Sophia. If there was ever a chance where Mom couldn't do something that's where I would step in.

I heard Sophia jump down the stairs and I let out a small laugh as her and Mom sat down to do her homework. When I finished the dishes I told Mom I could put Soph to bed tonight for her. I helped Sophia pack up her things and brought her up to her room. I tucked her in and read her a book and she was out like a light. I guess today was a busy day for her since she doesn't usually fall asleep this fast.

After I knew for sure Sophia and my Mom were sound asleep I went to my own room. My eyelids seemed to get heavier with each step I took. The moment my head hit the pillow it was as if I had passed out.