𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄. 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍

Start from the beginning

Its arm was trembling. "Na,"

"Please," Natasha moaned. "I don't know who you are, I'm sorry,"

"Ta," She slipped the dagger from out her sleeve, placing it across their heart.

"May the saints receive you," Inej prayed from the top of the slope.

The dagger pierced her heart.

They sobbed a horrific, keening sob. Natasha closed her eyes, feeling the warm liquid pool across her skin and blouse. They was gone. She had killed them. 

Natasha couldn't get up. "Van Doren, we need to go,"

"I can't just leave them here," Her words felt phantom-like. Someone was swirling metallic words in her mouth.

"There's nothing you can do. It's dead. It's gone-"

"They have names. They were real people, Brekker," Kaz clicked his jaw, sighing in annoyance. His crow cane felt stiff in his hand. He didn't know what to say.

"The others are already ahead. Let's go,"

"They knew who I was," Natasha whispered. She looked up at Kaz with silver eyes, wet with tears. "They were moaning my name, Natasha,"

"I know," he said quietly. Kaz crouched down beside Natasha, slowly pulling her dagger from the bodies heart. "But you put them out of their misery. It's in a better place," He slid the dagger back up her sleeve. 

"I killed them,"

"You did what you had to," His gaze was firm, brown eyes shadowed with secrets. "You did the right thing,"

"I feel horrible," She pressed her forehead against his shoulder, sobbing loudly. Kaz had never seen her cry so harshly. He flinched hard as Natasha dropped next to him, careless for the snow clinging onto her clothes.

"Van Doren," Kaz scowled.

"How could I not know who they are?"

"Van Doren,"

"I'm horrible,"

"Natasha, look at me," He hissed. Kaz tilted two fingers beneath her chin. She was shaking, still clinging onto his shoulders. Her lips were red, darker than rose petals. "You are not horrible,"

"You do not know what I am," Natasha said with trembling lips. "I am a monster. My magic is merzost," The darkness twitched on her fingertips. Kaz felt as if he had been plunged into ice water.

"I don't know what that means, but you're hardly more a monster than I am," Kaz said, laughing dryly. He grabbed Natasha by her sleeve, slowly picking her onto her feet. "Don't look at them," he said softly, tilting her head so she'd look at them. "Look at me,"

"Are you sure they're dead?"

Kaz kneeled by the body's side, pressing two fingers against its wrist. He nodded stiffly, awkwardly stepping onto his feet. "We should go. The other's are waiting," They walked on in silence, the occasional sniff from Natasha's part.

"Thank you," she mumbled after a while. Natasha kept her head down, not daring to look at him. "For being nice back there, you could have left me,"

"I was tempted," They fell into silence once more, the wind rattling against them - their boots crunched beneath the snow, snowflakes fluttering onto their lashes. "You're welcome,"

Natasha smiled weakly. Her hair stuck against her cheek, the collar of her blouse upturned to her knees. Kaz dropped his cane across her stomach, stepping in front of her. "You look a mess," he scowled. He swept her hair behind her ears, folding her collar into place. "If you're going to walk next to me, at least try to match my elegance,"

"My apologies, Mr Brekker," Natasha said sarcastically. She wiped the tears from beneath her eyes. "That my sadness ruins your aesthetic,"

"Apology excepted,"

Her lips crashed onto him, still wet from the snow. Natasha tasted like fire, kissed by darkness, and filled with hunger. Natasha's lips were soft against his, and she moved her hands cup his cheeks. Kaz was taken aback. He didn't have time to flinch or think of Jordie.

He met her passion.

His gloved hands passed through her hair, tugging gently on the roots. He could feel her smiling. All his repressed fury, his desperate longing, the lonely nights came seeping out. She responded to each word, kissing passionately, biting apologies onto his bottom lip.

Natasha pulled back. Her cheeks flushed, nose red. She laughed softly, cupping his cheeks in his cold palms. Fire danced across his body, but Kaz didn't care. 

"I regret not doing that sooner," Natasha said softly, pressing a gentle kiss onto his lips. Kaz's heart fluttered in his chest. He couldn't stop himself from grinning.

"I would have waited in every lifetime," 

A/N 

- 35 CHAPTERS LATER AND IT FINALLY HAPPENS! I probably won't torture you guys with another plot twist, but since so many of you were desperate for them to kiss here you go! I hope I wrote this well, I'm so awkward with writing kissing scenes. Anyways, thank you for reading if you enjoyed this chapter please vote and comment! 

- rosa <3