Chapter 13

Anastasia opens her eyes finding herself in bed with an empty space beside her. She sat up straight looking around the bedroom that she was unknown of. She felt numb, something was missing in her heart and she can't pinpoint whatever it was. She looks down to her hands noticing a very old yet clean ring.

"Oh, your finally awake." A voice cut her off as she looks to see a man she didn't know.

"Who? Who are you?" She asks as he comes to her with a tray of food. A silent voice is telling for her to run away from her which quickly vanished when she looked into his eyes.

"My name is...Holdes." He tells her with a smile on his face.

"Holdes?" She asks the name sounding so familiar to her, but she doesn't know where.

"Yes, your..." He tries to think of something when he saw the ring on her finger.

"Husband."
"Husband?"
"Yes, we have been married for 3 years. You got into an accident which caused you to loose your memories." He tells her with sadness as she became sadden too.

"Oh, but shouldn't I be with doctor or something." She asks still confused and finding him not making any sense at all.

"Yeah, you um...lost them last night." He tells her as she was still confused. She doesn't feel pain anywhere or find any scars from her hands when she looked down pretending to remember.

"It will be okay. We can make newer memories." He says placing a hand on hers as she looks up at him nodding slowly. Newer memories? What's wrong with the old ones? She thought.

——

"Anything?" Hayley asks, it's been months and still no sign of Anastasia. The brothers shook their head with defeat.

"How is he?"
"Stable, his taking care of his four children all by himself. I offered help, but he refused it saying his fine." Hayley answers Kol's question when they heard a loud crash from upstairs along with some crying. They all ran upstairs thinking Elijah was hurting one of his kids when they only saw him cleaning some mess off the floor.

"Sorry loves, your father is a bit clumsy." He tells his children as he throws the wet towels into the hamper and shushes them softly. Despite him looking fine and like himself, his broken, numb, missing a piece he wanted forever in his life. Elijah was never one to be clumsy about anything, when he was human, he was the clumsiest from the family and this is the first time they ever seen him clumsy, beyond repair.

"Brother." Klaus calls and Elijah turns seeing them all at the doorway staring at him.

"Niklaus, came to see your niece and nephews?" He asks.

"Uh...of course." Klaus smiles giving the rest a look of privacy which they all left him for. Elijah hums towards the four children as Klaus walks in shutting the door before walking up to the large crib where he stood humming to his children.

"How are you feeling?" Klaus asks looking at Elijah.

"I am quite alright, Niklaus." I am not alright. Elijah thought, but didn't show anything to Klaus. Klaus hears his brothers words and knew of the opposite, but decided not to push the limits knowing his brother. He has patience, but his patience are limited in some situations and right now it is limited.

"Why did you come here really?" He asks him breaking Klaus's trance as Klaus looks at his brother than back down to the babies.

"Um."
"I know you didn't find her. No need to bring me the dreadful news everyday." Elijah says in a muttered tone as they watch the babies stare at them moving their cloved hands in the air, biting them ,and making gurgles that Elijah knew would make Anastasia smile and play with them.

"I'm really sorry brother." He mutters towards Elijah.

"It's alright. Anastasia knew that wherever she is, whatever trouble she is now into, whatever...whatever she is feeling right now. She knows...she knows that I have to stay strong. To watch over the young ones. Making sure they are not neglected." Elijah says his voice breaking every time he spoke. Klaus knew that Elijah is right, he can't neglect the kids knowing Anastasia will scold him, but with him neglecting his kids...means his neglecting himself.

"Get some rest brother." Klaus tells him placing a hand on Elijah's shoulder. He expected for him to decline, argue with him, but he watches him nod his head in silence and turned around to the bed laying on Anastasia's side even though his still in his suit. Klaus didn't say anything as he listens to his brother's soft snores indicating he has passed out.

Months have past already and Elijah hasn't gotten any sleep. If he was still human, he would have bags underneath his eyes, more skinnier than he was, but his a vampire. An original noble one and everyone would be shock to see the once stoic noble original became vulnerable, frail, broken beyond repair. It's hurting Klaus to see his own brother like this, to see any of his siblings like this, but mostly towards Elijah.

Klaus doesn't understand how it is to feel the one you love and destined to be with for all eternity gone without knowing where they are. He won't understand the feeling of what Elijah is now feeling, no one will. Not even Marcel and Rebekah, but he made a promise to both his niece and nephews, family, and Elijah that he will find Anastasia and bring her back. Even if it cost him his own life in the end.