Chapter 23

8:30 am, Sunday, May 4, 2053

Skye woke knowing three things. 

1: She was free to go out of the infirmary. 

2. She was hungry.

3. Yoru never came to visit, even though he said he would.

Maybe he forgot. Yeah. He forgot to visit me. That's probably why. Skye felt her heart tighten. The same feeling she had as a child. She shook it off. He cares for you. He just forgot. She braided back her hair and walked to the kitchen. Saturdays resulted in usually her being the first person up, and Jett or Yoru the last person up. Astra, apparently, had beaten her to the kitchen. The woman was rummaging through the cabinets.

 "Do you need help finding something?" asked Skye. Astra stuck her head out from the cabinet. "No need chale. I found what I was looking for." She pulled out a box of chocolate chip cookies. 

Skye looked at it funny. "If I remember correctly, those are Viper's but she forgot about them and they've been back there for at least 4 months." Viper has swiped those when Killjoy went to go get snacks for a movie night. She forgot to take them out during the actual movie and ended up stealing KJ's cookies. 

Astra squinted at the end date for the cookies. Skye leaned over to read it with her. 2-5-53. Astra wrinkled her nose. "Yeahh I'm going to get something else to eat. I'm Astra by the way." Skye nodded. "Words travels fast in the compound. There are also a bunch of busybodies here, so if someone new comes, everyone will know. I'm Skye." 

Astra studied her. "I hope your recovery was a speedy one and that you are better now." Skye gave her a look. Astra winced and replied, "I apologize, I can read thoughts when they have an emotional tie to them." 

"Ohh I was wondering how you knew, since we haven't spoken much. What are your powers anyway?" Skye had heard that she could go to another dimension, similar to Omen, but hers was more of a galaxy rather than a shadow realm. 

"I can summon stars that can do three different things. One is a gravitywell, which pulls anyone to the center and then weakens them, a nova pulse, which concusses and dazes, and a smoke that lasts for about a minute. My ultimate, as everyone likes to call them, is a galaxy wall. You can't shoot or hear anything or anyone through it, but things like arrows, grenades, blinds, and people can pass through the wall."

Skye nodded. Most likely a Controller or Duelist, based on her powers. More so a Controller, because her powers seem to lock down an area. "That's pretty cool. You're most likely a Controller, based on your skill set." Astra nodded. "Sage said I was one when I met with her and Brimstone." Yoru walked into the kitchen. Skye avoided staring at him. Yoru walked right past  her and went right next to Astra. "Could we hang out later at the Crown Mall? Everyone is going there today." Skye blinked. "Excuse me," she said and she quickly walked away. Yoru noticed her then and said, "Oh hi Skye." He returned to talking with Astra. "Skye! Could we train together later?" called Astra. Why not. Skye smiled back at her. "Sure thing, meet me in the Controller training room in an hour." Astra smiled and waved to her. 

Skye finally made it to her room, tears peaking out from her eyes. It's fine. You're fine. He's probably doing something with her because he hasn't seen her in a long time. As long as he's happy. 

What about your happiness? Doesn't that matter too?  

Skye frowned at the hydrangea plant in her room. Where the other voice had been coming from. The plants are talking me now? Great. Anyways, it'll be fine. They're just hanging out.