Chapter 25 - Tragedy

Start from the beginning

Some time later, he pulled up at a flat and we hopped out. I glanced around, noticing that there were only three other cars in the lot. I also realized we weren't at a hospital.

"Was he shot here?" I asked.

"No, but he's inside. We're at his doctor's office. They're open twenty-four hours."

"Why wasn't he taken to the hospital?"

Ronny looked at me as if I'd asked a dumb question, "He's the boss of the mafia and he's most likely on the wanted list. What do you think would happen if he was taken to the hospital?"

He did have a point.

I followed him inside and up to the front desk.

"Hi, I'm here for Ares Kingman. I'm Ronny and I'm his cousin." Ronny informed the woman.

Cousin? I had no idea they were cousins. They certainly didn't act like family.

"Please take a seat. I'll let Doctor Roberts know you're here." She replied kindly and Ronny nodded.

I noticed there were approximately five other persons sitting in the waiting area as I sat beside Ronny.

"I didn't know you were cousins."

"Yeah, we don't really broadcast it." He answered with a shrug.

We were dying with worry as we waited for two hours without a word from the doctor. Ronny couldn't stop shaking his legs and I couldn't stop biting my nails. It was a strange habit I had whenever I was worried. I tried to stay positive as we waited. It wouldn't be taking so long if he had died, right? As we sat there, I read almost every poster on the walls; From breast cancer posters to HIV/AIDS posters. I was willing to do anything to take my mind off the situation at hand.

"Ares Kingman?"

Ronny and I jumped up and rushed to the doctor standing in the middle of the room.

"How is he?" I inquired with a pounding heart.

The doctor quickly glanced at Ronny as if asking permission to inform me about Ares, 

"It's alright, doc. She's a...friend of the family."

"Oh, okay. Well, Ares is okay and he's stable. He was shot in the upper, left arm, but the bullet went straight through so no bone or nerve was damaged. We've already cleaned the wound and gave him IV antibiotics but I may have to keep him overnight for some X-rays."

"Oh, thank God." I panted, as I released a breath of relief.

"Thanks, doc." Ronny added.

"Can we see him?" I inquired.

"Yeah, but not for more than an hour. We need to get started on the x-rays."

"You go first since you're family." I suggested to Ronny.

He nodded and followed the doctor to Ares' room. With a sigh, I returned to my seat. Silently, I thanked God that he was okay. I waited for approximately fifteen minutes before Ronny returned.

"Okay, you can go," He said, sitting beside me, "It's room number nine, down the hall."

"Thanks. Does he look okay?"

"I guess. Go find out for yourself. Just a little heads up though, he doesn't know you're here."

I nervously walked down the hall to room number nine. I wanted to see him so badly just to ensure he was okay, but I was so nervous. The doctor told us he was okay so maybe I should just go back to the house.

Taking a deep breath, I held onto the door knob and slowly turned it.

As I entered the room, I spotted him in a hospital gown, his back turned to me, watching the tiny television strung up on the wall. He had a bandage tied around his wounded arm.

"I thought I told you to go home, Ronny. I'm fine." He mumbled and I bit back a laugh.

"It's me."

He slowly turned around to face me and his brows furrowed in confusion, "What are you doing here?"

"I...um, I heard what happened. I just wanted to make sure you were alright."

Why didn't he look happy to see me?

"Well, as you can see, I'm alright. You can go, now." He stated, flatly.

"Why are you so mean to me?" I asked without thinking.

I was annoyed. I hated how he talked to me sometimes as if I was a burden to him.

"Why do you act as if you care?!" He snapped.

"Because I do care!"

"Why? You're just my submissive. Why do you care?"

"Because I fucking love you, asshole!" I screamed, surprising both him and myself.

Oh, my God. I loved him. I fucking loved Ares Kingman. Why did it take so long for me to notice? And, why the hell did I fall in love with the man who treated me like shit?

His features softened as he looked at me in shock. For a moment, we just stared at each other. In his eyes, were swirling inexplicable emotions. The air around us was thick since my dumb confession. The eerie silence was unbearable and suffocating. My chest tightened with every suspenseful second that passed.

I couldn't believe I had fallen for him. How could I have been so stupid?

"Well, I don't love you. You should go."