My Sanctuary

I walk into my broken home, and there at my dinner table my mother sits, taking a drag of her cigarette. I set my stuff down and stare at the back of her head as I walk closer, it’s like I had walked into a crime scene. There on the floor were broken dishes, some ripped out hair, the demons in my head whispered horrid things, and I silently cursed myself for not being here to protect her.

“Mom?” I ask my voice barely above a whisper. She doesn’t flinch; she just turns her head slightly, not giving me a good look of what the monster has done this time. I walk around her frame and stare at the aftermath of what I had missed.

Her face was battered, her nose was bleeding, and she didn’t even bother to wipe the blood away. I stared into her eyes, they were blood shot and I could see the same emptiness mine had, it was like I was looking at my own reflection.

I was fucking livid, this had to stop.

“Where is he?” I say between clenched teeth.

She notices how bad my body is trembling and her cold hands grab my hands, and squeeze them with a tenderness that almost makes me forget how mad I actually am.

“Sweetie, he’s out right now. I think it’s time for us to go, don’t you?”

I nod, I didn’t care where we went, as long as I could protect my mom and make sure nothing wrong will come her way, I was perfectly okay with this.

“Mom, where are we going?” I say as I hold her bags and hold her up as well. She has gotten so thin, it scares me.

“I have no idea baby.”

A thought crosses my mind, and my mind is torn.

“Hey…Mom. I have this friend and his Mom and he are willing to keep us”

Her eyes look up to catch mine and she just nods slightly, I could tell how weak she has gotten, and how the abuse has worsened over the course of my absence. I tell myself that we are not burdening his family, and him as well, but they were so welcoming when I stayed so I know they wouldn’t mind my Mom.

We reached their home and I hesitated for a second, my finger pressed the doorbell anyways.

Kyungsoo’s mom answered and her eyes widened at the sight of my mother, immediately she helped my mom indoors and shut it behind us.

“Mrs. Do, do you mind if we-“

“Of course not Jongin! Kyungsoo is in his room, I’m sure he will be happy to see you” she met my eyes with a stern look and I took one last look at my mother and retreated down the familiar hallway.

I knocked on his door, and his honey dew voice told me to enter.

“Jongin!” He squealed, he hopped up from his bed and embraced me so hard.

“My mom and I are staying for awhile” I say as he pulls me down onto his bed with him.

His smile is sad, but I could tell he really was happy to see me; it has been awhile since I have last seen him. His arms never let me go and I feel so safe. I can hear my mother crying faintly down the hallway and his arms squeeze tighter.

“At least you’re away from him now, you know? You’re somewhere where you can relax and actually not have to worry” I smile, I had mixed emotions, the fear within me was afraid that my father would somehow figure out where we were, but I highly doubt it. I just felt good to have Kyungsoo with me. I could feel his wings wrap themselves around me, protecting me, I shut my eyes and smiled. This is where I belong, this was my sanctuary.