Chapter Fourteen - The Clearing

Benjamin laid his hand on top of mine on the balcony railings, leaning against it as I did. His eyes scanned the trees, searching for any movement. I had never noticed before, the full beauty of Benjamin.

Although - much like all vampires - he was stunning, there was something that made him stand out from the others. His skin, dark but with a pale edge to it, shone like thousands of diamonds in the sunlight that struggled through the thick clouds. His crimson eyes glittered, no matter what emotion he was feeling. Around his chin was light stubble, not completely disappearing when he transformed. His hair was short and curly, and as black as night. It begged for a hand to be dragged through it, or to be ruffled.

His dark eyebrows rose as he looked at me. “You’re staring at me,” he observed, a smile playing at the edges of his mouth.

I looked away, blushing if I had the blood in my veins to. “Sorry.”

Benjamin chuckled. “No need, I don’t mind. Find anything interesting?”

I smiled. “Just amazing beauty.”

Benjamin leaned close to me, pressing his lips to mine. “It doesn’t compare to yours,” he muttered.

I smiled. “Does this mean that we are together?” I whispered.

He smiled. “I guess it does.”

Our lips pressed together again, and I found my hand sliding out from under his and winding itself in his soft hair. His hands also left the railing, moving to my hips.

A sudden shout from downstairs made us break apart from each other and look towards the sound. Benjamin wrapped his arm around me, and we hurried downstairs.

Alice appeared first, her eyes wide. “I had a vision!” she declared. “I know where he is!”

Benjamin and I both drew in a harsh breath at the same time. “Where?”

“The clearing,” Edward said, also joining us with Bella by his side. “We have to go now.” He moved to the stairs where he called up it to Rosalie and Emmett.

Jasper joined us, closely followed by Kebi, Rosalie and Emmett.

The images of my dream flashed across my mind. “Oh, no,” I whispered. “Not the clearing.”

Carlisle joined us with Esme by his side. “Don’t worry, El,” she reassured me. “The wolves are on our side, no matter what. Ricardo won’t have the advantage.”

I nodded, moving closer to Benjamin. His arm left my hips, draping over my shoulders, pulling me closer to him. “It will be fine,” he muttered. “We will finally end this.”

* * * *

We all ran to the clearing, reaching it in only a few minutes. We all stopped, expecting to see Ricardo, but he was nowhere to be seen. I scanned the area, looking for anything moving.

My eye caught onto something moving, just as it sprung out of the forest and into the clearing. It was no bigger than my hands put together, and it was covered in light grey fur. “Rabbit,” I whispered, drawing my gaze away from it.

Benjamin laughed softly from beside me. “Are you really that thirsty?” he muttered. I smiled, nudging him lightly in the ribs.

A moment later Alice rose from her crouch, all of us following. “I swear he was here,” she muttered, her delicate eyebrows pulling together in confusion.

I suddenly caught onto a scent, my head turning towards it. I could smell Ricardo. “He’s near,” I whispered, and everyone turned towards where I could smell him.