Chapter Ten - I Don't Dance

“El!”

I turned to see Alice and the family running to the house. None of them had a hair out of place, or a spot of dirt on their clothes. I found it hard to see how.

I stepped out of the house. Carlisle hadn’t told them about the attack, and Benjamin and Kebi were still indoors. I wanted to get them all far into the forest before I told them. Benjamin and Kebi didn’t need to hear about it, just like how I didn’t want to hear about the dreams when they were explained to other people.

“Wait,” I whispered, stopping on the porch.

Everyone froze, looking at me.

“I need to explain, away from the house,” I whispered.

Nobody responded. I turned to Edward. Help me out, here. I thought. I pushed the images of what had happened to the back of my head. If Edward said them out loud-

“I won’t,” he cut in, hearing me.

I smiled. “Come on,” I whispered, stepping off the porch and onto the forest floor. The snow had melted away, the winter season finally over. The grass had begun to become green again, the beautiful flowers sprouting for spring.

Everyone followed me into the forest, and we ran until the house was out of hearing distance.

We all sat in a circle on the dry ground, everyone’s eyes still fixed on me.

“We were attacked… by Ricardo,” I whispered. Rosalie and Bella both drew in breaths, and Edward’s arm around Renesmee tightened. Jasper, Alice, and Emmett were all silent. I carried on. “He came when Tom visited, and he sort of got caught up in it. The Egyptian coven were also caught up in it, and Amun was killed by Ricardo.” I looked down at my hands, not wanting to meet the gaze of everyone around me. “Benjamin and Kebi are still here, and Tom is in Rose and Em’s room.”

“Aw, man,” Emmett complained. “Why our room?”

“I don’t know. But he’s in a foul mood,” I whispered.

Edward laughed as he read my thoughts. “He kissed you?” he said, a grin spreading across his face. “And you slapped him?”

Emmett laughed, trapping me in a bear hug. “That’s my girl!” His boomed and laughed again.

I smiled. “He can really be an ass.”

Rosalie laughed. “Finally, she gets it!”

“So where is Ricardo?” Alice asked, taking the explanation more serious than everyone else. “I haven’t seen any visions of him.”

“He ran off after Esme attacked him. He’s probably somewhere in the woods,” I whispered. Everyone looked around, expecting him to step out of the shadows.

Thankfully, he didn’t.

Edward rose to his feet. “We better get home if only Carlisle, Esme, Kebi, Benjamin and the ass are there.”

* * * *

We all walked into the house, walking into the lounge. Kebi and Benjamin were sat next to each other on one sofa, opposite them Carlisle and Esme. They all looked up as we entered.

Carlisle’s gaze met mine, silently asking if I’d filled them in. I nodded. I sat down next to Esme and Carlisle, Renesmee sitting next to me. She smiled warmly, trying to cheer me up. I smiled back, giving her a quick hug. Her death flashed across the back of my eyes, making me flinch slightly.

Edward turned his head to the side, his eyes focused on the floor, also flinching. “Sorry,” I whispered to him.

He waved away my concern. “It’s worse for you,” he mumbled, leaning against the wall, Bella next to him.