Chapter 28. U.S. Supreme Court Jurisdiction Cases

1. Reily v. Lamar, 2 Cranch 344 (1804):
Person living in Maryland at time of creation of Washington, D.C., became a D.C. resident by remaining there, and was no longer a state resident.

2. United States v. Bevans, 16 U.S. (3 Wheat.) 336 (1818):
Murder committed on U.S. warship in Boston harbor held to be within jurisdiction of the state and not that of the United States.

3. New Orleans v. United States, 35 U.S. (10 Pet.) 662 (1836):
Both parties claimed ownership to land; court held that city was owner.

4. Pollard v. Hagan, 44 U.S. (3 How.) 212 (1845):
Contest over title to real property adjacent Mobile Bay.

5. United States v. Erie Ry. Co., 106 U.S. 327, 333, 1 S.Ct. 223 (1882):
Federal tax case, no important principle within majority opinion. However, Justice Field wrote in his dissent:

"The power of the United States to tax is limited to persons, property, and business within their jurisdiction, as much as that of a state is limited to the same subjects within its jurisdiction."

6. Fort Leavenworth R. Co. v. Lowe, 114 U.S. 525, 5 S.Ct. 995 (1885):
Court held that the state could tax railroad company's property inside Fort Leavenworth enclave due to fact that state reserved power to tax in cession act.

7. Chicago, R. I. & P. Ry. Co. v. McGlinn, 114 U.S. 542, 5 S.Ct. 1005 (1885):
Railroad company's train passing through Fort Leavenworth enclave struck and killed McGlinn's cow. State law at time of cession required railroads to fence rights-of-way. Court held state law in existence at time of cession applied to enclave.

8. Benson v. United States, 146 U.S. 325, 13 S.Ct. 60 (1892):
Benson convicted of murder committed at Fort Leavenworth; he contended that U.S. had no jurisdiction over fort for part not used for military purposes. But, court held that U.S. had jurisdiction over all property owned by the U.S.

9. Palmer v. Barrett, 162 U.S. 399, 16 S.Ct. 837 (1896):
The U.S. had jurisdiction over Brooklyn Navy Yard, but leased part thereof to New York City for a market. City subleased market spaces and this was state court action regarding dispute between two tenants. Court held state court had subject matter jurisdiction since act of cession applied only as long as the U.S. used property for government purposes, and the U.S. lease to city caused reversion of state jurisdiction.

10. Camfield v. United States, 167 U.S. 518, 17 S.Ct. 864 (1897):
Railroad owned all odd sections and U.S. owned all even sections in two townships. Camfield fenced around outside of both townships, thus getting benefits of government lands. Court held that fences had to be torn down. It held that U.S., as proprietor of its own lands, could regulate use of its lands via police powers.

11. Hamburg American Steamship Co. v. Grube, 196 U.S. 407, 25 S.Ct. 352 (1905):
Suit for wrongful death occurring in New York harbor as result of ship collision. In vicinity, the U.S. owned Sandy Hook, and ship company claimed that state law did not apply at place of collision. Court affirmed state court judgment, finding that Sandy Hook cession did not likewise include cession over waters.

12. Battle v. United States, 209 U.S. 36, 28 S.Ct. 422 (1908):
The U.S. bought land for site of post office and courthouse and state ceded jurisdiction. Battle was convicted of murder which occurred during construction, and he argued that the U.S. had no jurisdiction over this offense. Court held that the U.S. had jurisdiction.

13. Western Union Telegraph Co. v. Chiles, 214 U.S. 274, 29 S.Ct. 613 (1909):
Navy gunner at Norfolk Navy Yard sued telegraph company to recover penalty permitted by state law for failure to deliver telegram. Court held that this state law had no application within U.S. jurisdiction.