Chapter 7

3 June 1898

Y/N's POV

I woke up to Jack softly shaking me. "Time to sell the papes, N/N," he whispered in my ear.

I was a little disoriented but eventually I processed what he was saying. "Oh ok," I said sounding like an idiot, causing Jack to laugh.

"Don't laugh at me Jackie Boy."
"Now don't you go calling me that!" he said mock-threateningly.
"Whatever Jackie Boy let's go sell the papes." I ruffled his hair as I said this.

I went to the bag and grabbed one of my two outfits inside. (pic at the top) I had to change as I had been wearing Oscar's extremely huge (but extremely comfortable) clothes.

Before I left to go change someone tapped me on the shoulder.

I turned around and saw all the boys standing there, looking at me with serious expressions and I was super confused.

Then Jack stepped forward (his face not changing) holding something which upon closer look was a newsie cap. He then started speaking with a fake posh British accent.

"Y/N M/N DaSilva it is with great honour that we hereby dub you," he tapped each shoulder with the cap, "a newsie."

He placed the cap on my head and all the boys cheered which put a big smile on my face. I played into the act and took a very over-exaggerated bow.

Once we were all changed and ready, we went off to get the "papes".

Before we got there, Albert pulled me aside.

"N/N, need to warn you about the Delancey brothers." I froze.
"Delancey?"

I really hoped that my tone didn't give me away but to no avail, "What, you know 'em?"

His questioning eyes bore into my soul but based on what the brothers told me, I figured it would be safer to keep my friendship with them a secret.
"No, just trying to follow along, continue."

I felt bad for lying but I had a feeling that there was no good outcome here.

"Well they're bullying scumbags who beat kids up for cash. They'll give you your papes but other than that, stay clear of them. I don't want you getting hurt, I can't lose you again."

The genuine concern in his tone and expression made my guilt increase but I knew that it would be in everyone's best interest to not tell him.

"Yeah, okay. Don't worry about me, no Delancey's gonna kill me," I said with a joking tone.

If only he knew how literally I meant that. I
mean if anything, they saved my life.

"Yeah yeah, same old stubborn Y/N," he laughed and gave me a hug. "Now ready to sell your first papes?"

"Of course, I was dubbed and everything." We both laughed at that before heading over to the circulation gates.

While we walked, it truly dawned on me that I was going to see them again but I'd have to put on a bit of a front. I wondered if Katie told them anything.

In my spot in the line, Race was behind me and Albert in front of me.

I spotted the Delanceys before they saw me. The first one too see me was Oscar who then told Morris and we then made eye contact.

Based on their confused and shocked expressions, I assumed that Katie hadn't told them anything.

To answer some of the mental questions they probably had, I pointed at Albert and mouthed 'my brother'.