Chapter Nine - I Belong To Seth

Start from the beginning

“I know it’s not exactly a beautiful garden with a canopy, but it’s the best I can do,” I whispered, and Benjamin smiled faintly.

The sun had now set, tiny stars popping up in the growing navy sky. The full moon shone brightly in the sky, the craters the most defined I had ever seen them.

“It’s beautiful,” Benjamin said, leaning back on the bench.

I smiled. “You think?”

He nodded, his eyes scanning across the forest. “We don’t have many trees back home. Especially forests. It’s nice to see a change in scenery.”

I could tell that Benjamin was trying to dodge the bullet of talking about his father, but I smiled anyway. I turned on the bench so I was facing Benjamin, opening my arms wide for an embrace. Benjamin looked at me, still shocked, but shuffled towards me and wrapped his arms around me.

I wrapped my arms around his shoulders, his soft scarf brushing across my cheek. We sat for a moment in silence.

Benjamin finally pulled away from me, leaning back against the bench. He kept one arm around me, the other resting on his knee. I leant close to him; suddenly feeling like the action was natural. I leaned my head against his shoulder, and he rested his head on top of mine.

I looked up at the bright stars. “Are you okay?” I whispered to Benjamin.

He was silent for a second. “No,” he whispered back.

I snuggled closer to him, his arm around me tightening.

“Tell me.”

“No,” Benjamin said again.

I sighed. I couldn’t get through to him from arguing. “You know,” I whispered. “I’ve finally worked out what sounded wrong about Esme’s explanation of my dreams to you.”

“What?” Benjamin asked, no traces of humour in his tone.

“She didn’t want to tell you because she cares about me. She knew that it was none of her business, and I could tell you if or when I wanted to,” I whispered.

Benjamin sighed, leaning his head against the back of the bench. “I have no clue what you’re talking about.”

I smiled. “You know the people who were in my last dream?”

“Yes. It was Ricardo, Rosalie, Emmett, Carlisle, Esme, Alice, Jasper, Bella, Edward, Renesmee and Gale. And the werewolves.”

I waited for a second. I was right about Esme’s explanation not sounding completely right - she was missing one person out. “And you, Benjamin.”

“Me?” Benjamin asked, his voice shooting up an octave in surprise.

“You were dragged out by the wolves with Esme, Edward, Rose and Em.” I flinched as the images flooded my head, letting out a small gasp of pain. Benjamin looked down at me in alarm, and I buried my face in his shoulder.

“It’s okay,” he whispered soothingly, brushing a few lose strands of my hair out of my face. “I guess we both have things we don’t want to share.”

I shook my head, his dark golden waistcoat brushing across my cheeks. “I want you to share your pain with me.”

“Just like you did?” Benjamin asked.

I smiled. “You sussed me out.”

Benjamin sighed. “Well, too bad.”

Before I could say anything, he leaned close to me. I could feel his breath against my lips as he breathed out, and then our lips pressed together.