No. 20: Housewarming Gifts

Start from the beginning

All-in-all? This was going to be the perfect room.

He sat down cross-legged on the floor and got to work.

.................

Virgil rang the doorbell, holding his breath a little.

"You don't need to be worried," Patton told him, resting a hand on his shoulder. "They sounded really happy when they called, remember? Roman said that designing the apartment was the most fun he'd ever had."

"Yeah, but they could've just been putting on a happy face," Virgil mumbled. "That coming-out thing didn't exactly sound like a picnic."

"Virgil, trust me, I know what Remus's lying voice sounds like," Janus said. "They're fine." He grinned. "Honestly, I'm incredibly proud of the way he came out. Made me love him all the more."

Virgil elbowed him. "Thought you were already at maximum adoration."

"There is no limit to how much my adoration can go."

"Okay, both of you, shush," Logan ordered. "We need to be on our best behavior tonight. We cannot break anything new, we cannot ruin any furniture, and we cannot make a big mess. This is a housewarming celebration, and we have to be polite."

Remus flung the door open, beaming. "What's up, motherfuckers!"

"Darling!" Janus threw his arms around him and kissed him. "I am so proud of you, you have no idea!"

"Awww, Jan-Jan, you're gonna make me blush," Remus said.

"Oh, it doesn't take too much to make you blush, love."

"Hey, Remus!" Patton chirped, giving him a hug. "You look awesome! New jacket?"

Remus brightened. "Oh, yeah, I got a new leather jacket to celebrate the occasion. Check out the back!" He turned around and pointed to the words Certified Cryptid splashed across the back of the jacket in lime green lettering.

Virgil nodded in approval. "Nice."

"Let's go in," Logan said, pushing them inside. "I have a himbo I need to congratulate."

Virgil looked around the airy, white apartment, internally marveling at it. It wasn't especially fancy or big, but Roman had done a really good job at decorating it---adding modern-ish black-and-gold couches and chairs with fluffy pillows, a huge TV over the fireplace that featured a paused game of Hades, weird-shaped vases on small end tables, and even some picture frames featuring the crew.

Roman got up from one of the couches, setting the gaming console on the coffee table. "Hey, you guys are early! We haven't even ordered the pizza yet!"

"Eh, never hurts to be a little bit early for things," Virgil said, shrugging. "I, uh, got you these." He held up a bouquet of flowers.

"Oh, my..." Roman gingerly took them. "These are amazing! How---"

"There's flower shops everywhere. Thought they'd brighten up the place a little."

Roman kissed him on the cheek. "I love them."

"Patton helped me out with finding the right combination," Virgil told him. "That flower means hospitality, that flower means freedom, lots of the flowers in here mean family, the red roses obviously mean love---"

"And the geraniums mean stupidity," Janus added, smirking. "I added those in at the last minute."

"Thanks," Roman said sarcastically. "I really appreciate it."