Chapter 9

(11th October 2026)

Axel was waiting nervously for Kai's mom to arrive. Because him and Kai were best friends since they were like 11, he used to always visit Kai's house and Mrs. June was like a second mother to him. She used to take care of Axel just like her son and now, Axel feels so guilty for not bothering to say goodbye to her before he left. But since he arrived, he was nervous to face her. He didn't even know if Kai told her that he is staying with them.

Kai's dad died before he became friends with Kai so he didn't really know Mr. June. Actually, he became Kai's friend right after his dad died.

He still remembers that day, when both of them were chubby 11-year olds and Axel found Kai crying and sniffling under a tree in a local park. He remembered coming to play in the park with Victor when he saw a cute boy crying under a tree calling for his dad. Axel asked him what happened and he told Axel that his dad died and he missed him so much. He remembered sharing his thoughts with Kai, telling him that his parents disowned him when he was five and he was living with uncle Victor since then but he loved Victor. He told him that it was okay to miss someone because he missed his parents too even though he barely knew them. He said being sad is okay but he'll look better with a smile.

These words of a small 11-year old boy developed an unforgettable friendship between Kai and Axel and soon they started hanging out with each other. They shared their happiness, their sorrows, their victories. They had an eternal friendship. Or that's what Axel thought until he started developing feeling for him. He had already started dating Miles then so he told Miles about it and they decided to join Kai in their relationship. You know what happened after that. All hell crashed down.

Today was Sunday so all of them were at home. Something about supernovas was playing on the TV when the bell went off. "I'll go get it" Miles said and left to open the door. Axel nervously waited not wanting to see Mrs. June's reaction after she realizes Axel was here. But frankly speaking, he missed her.

"Where is my babyyyyy" Mrs. June shouted as soon as she entered the apartment. Axel chuckled at her behavior. She was just the same when he had last seen her. Bubbly, understanding, she was more like a friend than a mother, though sometimes when her motherly side would kick off, she used to become the overly protective, caring kind of a person.

Kai was currently in the kitchen so the first-person Mrs. June saw after entering the living room was Axel. She stood there frozen after noticing Axel but within a fraction of a second, she was in front of Axel flicking his forehead. "Ow...Mrs. June" Axel groaned before softly whining and trying to ease the pain by slowly patting his forehead. Even though she looked like a soft petite woman, if she wanted to hurt you, you cannot escape.

"HOW CAN YOU JUST RUN AWAY LIKE THAT WITHOUT TELLING ME ANYTHING HUH? YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I WAS? YOU DO THAT AGAIN, IMMA GONNA SHOOT YOUR BRAIN WITH 5 BULLETS." Mrs. June's voice echoed in the apartment followed by silence for a few seconds before Axel jumped up and hugged her hard. She immediately wrapped her arms around him in a protective manner before petting his head. "I'll not leave without telling you ever again ok? Please do not shoot my brain with five bullets" Axel joked but was smacked again on this head.

"You know I'm your son right?" Kai's voice was heard through the living room as Mrs. June broke the hug and looked at Kai. "Of course, I didn't forget but if I have to tell you the truth, I always liked Axel more than you" Mrs. June replied with a smirk and Kai whined.

"Mom, you're visiting for the first time after I got engaged and you're caring more about my long last best friend." Kai replied with fake hurt and Mrs. June laughed. "Obviously baby, come give mama a hug" Mrs. June said and Kai cringed at her words but went to hug her anyways.

They all talked for some time in the living room when Mrs. June pulled Axel out of the living room into the kitchen telling Miles and Kai that she needed some help in making dessert. Well, Mrs. June is apparently making desert and Axel didn't know that until now.

"So, tell me what's up with the three of you" Mrs. June said as soon as they were out of range.

"Nothing. Why would you ask that Mrs. June?" Axel said kinda anxious.

"One, don't call me Mrs. June, call me Bella. Two, do you think I didn't notice the tension. You look at them with such love in your eyes, you didn't get over them, did you?" She asked concern lacing her voice.

Axel looked down for a second before slowly shaking his head telling her that he didn't get over them. "Oh, my poor baby! My son is so oblivious sometimes." She said and enveloped him in a hug. "It doesn't matter now. They're getting married anyhow." Axel mumbled into her hug. "Oh dear. You deserve to be happy with the people you love. If not now, I'm sure you'll be happy once day." Bella assured and broke the hug.

"Now, will you help me bake the cake?"

----------------

After lunch, all of them sat in the living room discussing about every small thing. Everyone was laughing and having a good time arguing if marshmallows tasted better with or without roasting them when Bella randomly asked a question.

"Right Axel! How's Victor. You didn't tell me anything about him. It's been so long since I've seen him" This made both Kai and Miles look at him with questioning eyes because he didn't tell them either about Victor all the time he stayed here. Axel visibly stiffened at this question before looking at the three of them with teary eyes.

"Victor died around five years ago."