Chapter 9: SERIAL KILLER

The smell of smoke was still in my clothes when I got home, so I changed my clothes once again.

Anubis followed me closely as I walked down the hallway.

I stopped when I saw Zoe coming out of her room with a ouija board.

"Circe. Meet me downstairs in the living room."

"Zoe, what are you planning?" She ignored my question and went on to collect Nan and Queenie. With all four of us downstairs, Zoe started her speech,

"A hundred years ago, this academy was packed to capacity. They had bunk beds and slept eight to a room. Now, notice anything?"

She put down several photos on the table, with each one the number of witches declined.

"Yeah. Luke's not here." Nan said annoyed. "His mom keeps slamming the door on me."

Zoe tried to get her back on track, "Nan, stay with me. Look at the pictures. Our numbers have gone down every year for a century straight. Witches are dying. In Salem, there were hundreds of us. Now there's four. Used to be five, until Madison went missing or dead. And no one in charge has done shit."

"We'll go to Fiona." Queenie suggested.

"She set Aunt Myrtle on fire. She doesn't care about this coven, not really. Madison and Aunt Myrtle has already been killed in Fiona's short time of being here. The dead came after us, my mom was blinded, None of this was happening when she wasn't here. I wish she would just leave."

Zoe got a bottle of what looked like green alcohol and small glass out of the cabinet beside us. "Madison wants us to find her, and we can't afford to lose a single witch if we want to survive." She poured the alcohol into the glass cup and held it out to Nan. Nan took it and downed it in a second.

"From now on.." Zoe continued as she poured another glass, "We watch each other's backs." She held out the glass to me this time, I slowly took it and drank the liquid inside. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Zoe finally held out a glass to Queenie.

"Look, I've been taking care of myself for a really long time, so I'm not sure I need some white girl sorority sisters to cover my ass. And what is this green shit?" Queenie said, looking at the glass.

"It's not a sorority." Zoe said defiantly, "It's a coven. And this is absinthe, drink of the divine. Which we are."

That convinced Queenie to drink. Zoe followed and drank some as well. Then Zoe set up the ouija board.

"No, no way, I'm not touching that thing." I knew better than to mess with ghosts.

"Do you know what these things do?" Queenie asked Zoe.

"Contact the dead." Zoe replied, this set Queenie off,

"You don't know shit. Spirit boards have two stages: contact and release. I saw my grandma use one once. And she thought it was cool, too, till a bad spirit came out, burned her house to the ground and took half of her face off with it."