I processed his words in my mind. As long as I stayed with Lucas, everything should be fine.

***

“Come in, come in. It’s lovely to meet you Ava.” smiled Mrs. Cartwright who went back to her maiden name, Jenson. I smiled and walked in awkwardly with Lucas next to me.

“I know you’re in a rush, I’m Andrea,” she held out her hand and I politely shook it. She got her camera and held it up to here eye. “Smile,” she chimed and we did so.

We took several pictures before a small red haired girl with bright green eyes appeared and another older girl with strawberry blonde hair. However, her eyes were blue like Lucas’s.

“Ava, meet my sister’s. This is Natalie,” he said and messed up the little girl’s hair. She squealed and lunged at Lucas for a hug. “Get off,” he said kindly enough then gestured to the older girl, “and that’s Leslie.”

They both smiled up at me and I did the same. “It’s so nice to meet you. First time I heard about you, I was shocked Lucas could get a girlfriend. I mean he had Paige but she was around his standard, however, you’re lovely. Lucas is too ugly to get decent girlfriends.”

Lucas made an impatient noise beside me and I tried to hide a snigger. “Shut up, Leslie. It’s not true.” He snapped.

“Oh but it is.” She grinned, “I’m kidding. Isn’t that right, Luke?”

I saw Natalie approach and look at me. She tilted her head and put her small hand under her chin as if examining me.

“Do I something on my face?” I panicked and looked at Lucas for help.

“No,” Natalie said in a sweet, sugary voice. She giggled and retreated. “You’re pretty.”

I blew out a breath and chuckled. “Thank you, and so are you.”

“Okay girls, how about you both get in so I can take a picture,” said their mum and we all shuffled closer. Natalie wrapped her arms around my waist and hugged me. I felt giddy that I’d actually gotten along with them. I smiled and with a flash the picture was taken.

***

“That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be,” I said as we pulled up to the school car park. I’d been quiet all the way just thinking about how lovely his family is.

“See, I told you they weren’t Psycho’s,” Lucas grinned and unbuckled his seat belt. I did the same and climbed out of his car. I could see a sea of students all walking to the entrance.

“Hey,” said a familiar voice. I looked up and saw April, her long scarlet hair falling down one shoulder. She was wearing a baby pink dress with sequins everywhere.