Chapter 22

May 2015

"So, what do you wanna do today? It's a nice day out. The newspapers on the windows really lets the sun through, doesn't it?" I was sitting in the only armchair that ever existed in that room, and I was facing the windows. The sun that shone on the windows really made the different newspapers Bucky had recently taped to the windows pop out.

"I don't know. I thought you enjoyed sitting in a dumpy hotel for 24 hours everyday talking to an unstable murderer?" I looked from the newspaper to Bucky, who was in the very small kitchen with a box of cereal next to him. I raised my eyebrows, surprised to hear this new sarcasm from him.

"Wow, never heard sarcasm from you before. You must be in a good mood today." Bucky shrugged and lifted up a spoonful of cereal to his mouth.

"Well," Bucky said while chewing his food. "I wouldn't call it a "good mood". Just not a bad mood. You however, seem rather...giddy." I rolled my head back and smiled.

"Nah, I guess I just woke up on the right side of the bed today." The reason I was so happy was because it was my birthday. Twenty three years old and spending it in a different country with an ex-assassin while hiding from...well from who knows. But it being my birthday was able to push away the bad thoughts. It was my first birthday without my family, but considering everything that had happened, I would rather be spending it the way I am now than in a Hydra lab or something like that. I didn't want to tell Bucky it was my birthday because I felt like it wasn't the most important thing right now. I didn't expect him to remember anyway. I only mentioned my birthday once about...well about over a year ago. The only reason I remembered his was because of The Smithsonian, and Google, and well, history in general. I didn't want Bucky to feel bad that he didn't do anything for me when I did something for him. And like I said, he didn't have to worry about it. It was my own personal holiday.

"You know, I think I might go for a walk. Explore the city a little more. I've only seen the flea market from a few blocks away and that's it. I wanna see a little more of Bucharest." Bucky just mumbled an okay. I looked at my watch and saw that it was almost 1:30. "Hey, Bucky. You wanna come with? It'll be nice to get some fresh air." I rotated my head back to Bucky. He was drinking the milk out of his bowl. He drank it all up and put his bowl int eh small sink before answering.

"Nah, I think I'll stay back. I have a few things to do." I gave a short laugh.

"Like what? Finally updating your room. The newspapers weren't a good move." Bucky walked over to his fridge and picked up his notebook that was on top of it.

"I got a few things to write down. Plus, the newspapers are just a precaution in case anyone sees through the glass and sees aim here." I got up from the chair and walked over to the front door.

"Are you sure? You aren't going to be too lonely?" Bucky shook his head and walked over to his bed and sat down. He immediately started to write.

"I've been alone for over 70 years. I think I can handle a few hours by myself." I sighed and nodded.

"Are you sure you are okay with me going alone? I know you get freaked out sometimes." Bucky shook his head an continued writing.

"No, I think you are able to do whatever you want. I could care less."

"Geez, you are so unfair. I can't handle you sometimes, you know?" I giggled and opened up the door. "But the way, your hair is greasy. If you are gonna keep it long like that, you gots take care of it at least a little."

"Enjoy your walk." Bucky said without looking up. I gave a small smile and waved even though he wouldn't return the gesture.

"Have fun writing." I closed the door behind and started down the stairs.