The Seashell

The sunlight sparkles brilliantly upon the deep blue water

     The sunlight sparkles brilliantly upon the deep blue water. Beneath the crashing waves, a young mermaid plays among the colorful seashells.

     "This one's my favorite... No, this one's my favorite!" She giggles happily as she picks out individual shells, marveling at each one's uniqueness.

     But once something catches her eye, she gasps. Peeking out of the sand is a shiny, pink shell. Her favorite color! She reaches for the shell excitedly, and as she pulls it loose she realizes it is attached to a golden chain... It's a necklace!

     "This is amazing!" She exclaims, tying the chain around her neck. But as she admires the shell pendant, she notices an inscription on the back:

     You are now prisoner of the shell. To escape its curse, you must return it to the briny deep of the sea, or remain inside of it evermore.

     "Huh... what does that mean?" She wonders curiously.

     Suddenly, her eyes fly open. Glancing around, she realizes she is back in her familiar bedroom in the Corona castle.

     "Mommy, Daddy! I just had an amazing dream!" Opal shouts, rushing to her parents' room. "I was a mermaid!"

     "Sounds... exciting," Cassandra chuckles as Varian smiles fondly.

     "It was!" Opal continues. "I found a shell necklace! It was even pink! But it had weird writing on it."

     "Wait... what kind of weird writing?" Varian asks, his interest suddenly piqued.

     Opal recites the inscription in her dream to her father, and his forehead creases between his eyebrows.

     "I'm going to go draw the shell! It was sooo pretty!" Opal says, and she skips away to find some paper to draw on.

     Cassandra takes notice of Varian's worried expression. "Hey, what's going on?" She asks, placing a caring hand on his shoulder.

     "That shell she dreamt about... It's the same magical shell I was once trapped inside with Rapunzel, Keira, and Catalina."

     "So? She probably just remembers you telling her about it," Cassandra says.

     "That's the thing... I've never told her that story before," Varian replies.

     Cassandra's eyes widen. "Then, how did she...?"

     Both of them share concerned glances, wondering how their daughter's dream was possible.