Magic Mirrors

One day, Opal tugs on the bottom of Cassandra's shirt and says, "Mommy, I know you are MY mommy

One day, Opal tugs on the bottom of Cassandra's shirt and says, "Mommy, I know you are MY mommy. And I have a daddy, and you have a daddy. But... do YOU have a mommy?"

Cassandra stares down at her daughter in surprise. "Well, I... I did," she replies. "But she's not around anymore."

"Oh... Where did she go?" Opal asks, seeming distraught by this answer.

"Um..." Honestly, Cassandra hadn't expected to have to answer a question like this so soon. She doesn't dare attempt to explain what all Gothel did, or how it all ended for her, just yet. So she simply says, "I'll tell you another time, kiddo."

"But... will I ever see her?" Opal asks.

Suddenly, a thought comes to Cassandra's mind. "Actually, I know of a way you can."

After a short trek, Cassandra brings Opal to Gothel's old cabin and takes her to the room with the magic mirrors. Most of the room has been scorched from the fire, but they discover a mirror that has been untouched by the flames. Cass touches it, and an image of Gothel appears on the glass.

"Ooh," Opal says, her eyes sparkling with wonder as she stares at the image of her grandmother.

Cassandra glares at the mirror, until Opal suddenly points at it. "Mommy, that girl behind gramma... she looks like me!"

Cassandra notices the image of her younger self, sweeping behind Gothel. "Actually, YOU look like HER," she says with a chuckle, kneeling down to Opal's level. "That little girl is me."

Opal's eyes widen. "You were a little girl like me?"

Cassandra smiles fondly, and puts an arm around her daughter. "Yes, I was. It seems so long ago..."