Chapter Five: Start Of A Puzzle

Start from the beginning

She also is only sixteen, soon to be seventeen. She will want to finish her schooling and have her dad see her graduate before she would even consider moving to Volterra. I ask that you respect this.

Now as for Isabella causing harm, I was unaware that she had been violent with her. I will, however, make sure that when she is around us and Isabella that she is well protected. No further harm should come to your mate, the future queen of the Volturi.

Should you and your brothers wish to come and visit Emogen, I ask that we be informed beforehand, so as to have proper arrangements made.

Warmest regards,

Carlisle Cullen

He folds the letter and places it into a pristine white envelope, which he then also places in the safe. He will send it off later.

Hearing the sounds of his family returning home from his hunt, he makes his way downstairs to meet them, calling for a family meeting.

~ ~ ~

Everyone except for Bella gathers around the kitchen table in the dining room, which has only ever been used for meetings. 

The atmosphere in the room is tense. Alice already knowing what the conversation is about and how it's going to go. She is reciting the Bible in French so Edward can't see what's going to happen from her thoughts. 

"I received a letter from the Volturi today," he starts looking each of his coven members in the eye. "And I have a few concerns."

If the atmosphere was tense before, it's almost unbearable now. Each family member looks at another. They have all come to like the youngest Swan in their own way, or at least a few of them have.

Carlisle and Esme like to think of the young Swan as an extension of their own family. Rosalie, while never really spending time with her has come to enjoy her energy. Emmett likes to think of her as someone he could befriend if they were able to spend more time with each other. The same goes for Jasper. 

Bella, Edward, and Alice have kept Emogen away from the family as best as they could. Alice always claimed that Jasper could slip and accidentally kill the girl. Or that Emmett would reveal what they were to her, not that that's a problem now. 

"Edward, Alice, what did Bella do that would draw the ire of the three kings?" Carlisle asks pointedly.

Said two vampires share a knowing look with each other. Carlisle raises an eyebrow like a father would when questioning his guilty child. 

"Bella slapped Emogen for confronting her about sacrificing herself for Edward," Alice explains. 

Carlisle pinched the bridge of his nose. Bella is very lucky to be alive and that their mate is her sister or else she would be six feet under at this moment.

"I also share a concern," Rosalie speaks up. 

Carlisle turns his attention to her. Rosalie stands from her seat as if she is approaching a jury. 

"Emogen is sixteen and mated to three of the most powerful vampires in the world. They haven't been around or cared for humans in centuries. What's to stop one of them from hurting her? She is too young to be involved in a relationship like that." 

Jasper and Emmett voice their agreement. Esme nods in silent agreement as well. She knows that it's like to be in a relationship with a power imbalance like that. It almost killed her. 

"We all know that it's impossible to physically hurt one's mate, but in this case, I can't help but agree. While they may not be able to physically hurt her, they very well could mentally hurt her. She already is in a fragile mental state," Jasper speaks up.