Chapter 17: Ethan

Start from the beginning

"Because...sometimes I will be in New York with Story and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything important if I can't make it."

"You said you would be here for all my appointments."

"I did, but if I can't make one then I want to know what I will be missing."

"So what you are saying is that flying to New York is more important than the health of your baby?"

"I didn't say that." I rub my temples.

"That's what it sounds like. I don't understand. She has been flying back and forth by herself, but now she needs you to go with her? What, she's scared you will come back to where you belong?"

Standing up, I walk to the door. "You can handle getting your blood drawn. You've been going to doctor's visits your whole adult life; I don't need to be here for that." I open the door and shut it on her calling my name.

When I make it to my SUV I call Pat and ask him to open the shop. I need to talk with my wife.

💔

I'm laying on the couch in the great room watching the TV over the fireplace with the volume down when I hear the front door open. Sitting up, I look behind me and see Story walk past the archway walking to the office while looking down at her phone. She didn't see me; I stand and follow behind her.

She closes the door and I open it right back up behind her. Her head snaps around. "Ethan, what are you doing here?" She asks, grabbing at her chest. "You scared me."

"I decided not to go in today."

"Oh." She places her camera bag on the desk.

"Where have you been? I've been home for a while."

"I went to meet David and put an offer on the building. Then Cam called me and we met for a late breakfast. After that Cam and I went to the Rivermarket district and walked around. That's about it."

"Why haven't you called me all day?"

"I knew you had your appointment and I thought you were at the shop. Why didn't you call me, and let me know you were home?"

Leaning back on the wall, I rub my sweaty palms on my jeans. I don't understand why I'm so nervous. "I was feeling some type of way about you being with Cam?"

"Why? It's Cam."

Taking both index fingers, I rub my temples to ease the pounding headache. I don't say anything because I have no idea why I'm feeling this way. I don't understand what's bringing on all the insecurities I'm feeling.

"What are we eating tonight?" I ask instead of answering her question.

She watches me, and I know she is trying to find some clue into why I'm being so weird. "Ummm...I was going to bake some chicken, rice and broccoli. Did you want something else?"

"No." I shake my head. "That's fine. I'm just gonna go back and watch some TV. I've got a very bad headache."

She doesn't say anything as I turn and leave out the office. I head back to the great room and plop back down on the couch. "Ethan man get it together."

Picking up the remote, I flip through the TV and decide on Spiderman. "Here." I look up and find two pills and a glass of water. Sitting up, I take the pills and the water.

"Thanks."

"Ethan, we can't fix whatever is bothering you if you don't say what is bothering you. I can't read your mind and clearly, there is something on your mind - hence the headache" She points to my head.