Chapter 5

A few hours later, we were all back from our various errands and had gathered in the little green courtyard that was quickly becoming our meeting space. I’d grabbed dinner for everybody from the dining hall, Jason had brought his laptop and put on some weird human music, and Linnea was entertaining everybody with silly stories about the mischief she got up to as a little girl.
“I hate to bust up the party, but I’m going to need reports from all of you.” I said.
Jason raised his hand. I snorted.
“You’re not in school, you goober, you’re a paladin of Voltron. What is it?”
“Well, good news and bad news. Good news is that at the rate the hive ships are currently travelling, we have minimum five months before they reach any inhabited systems, probably longer.”
“What’s the bad news?”
“They’re almost constantly speeding up, so it’s probably going to be more like two months.”
“Well, shit.” I muttered. “Xaroc, do you think we have any chance of becoming a real fighting force in that kind of time?”
The galra girl threw her hands up.
“I don’t know. Depends on what gets in our way. Best-case scenario, yes, but in my experience best-case scenarios hardly ever happen.”
“Well, one best-case scenario happened.” Leilah said smugly. “My armor arrives tomorrow! And get this, it even matches my favorite hijab.”
“Your what, now?” Linnea asked.
“Her headwrap.” Jason explained.
“Ah. I was wondering what you called it.”
“Well, we start really working tomorrow, then?”
I nodded. “They’ve said we get free run of the Garrison training equipment. You know, since we’re gonna be world-saving heroes and all.”
I tried to keep my voice light and casual, to not show my fear. It worked, and we returned to our food and slightly awkward banter. I settled down a bit, focusing on right now, trying to enjoy myself. I should relax while I still could. I had a feeling that after tomorrow, I wouldn’t catch a break for a very long time.