Chapter 2

"Did you hear something?" Demeter asked, her ears perked up.

"Deme... this is the fifth time you have heard something." Bombalurina sighed, covering her face with her tail. "There's nothing out there. Macavity's not going to find us."

"I guess." Demeter laid down. A cat's scream could be heard and Demeter and Bombalurina went to investigate. "What was that?"

A tuxedo kitten was crying next to a rock. "Mungojerrie! You're mean!"

"I did not drop the rock on your tail, Mr. Mistoffelees." The male calico hissed. "Rumpleteazer did."

"Yeah, give me credit." The female calico stood proudly.

Munkustrap went up to the tuxedo kitten. "What happened, little one?"

Mr. Mistofflelees stopped crying. "Rumpleteazer dropped a rock on my tail and it hurts." The twins started to giggle.

"Alright, " Munkustrap wrapped his tail around the kitten. "I'll wake your mom and you can tell her what happened." The twins stopped giggling and got a bit scared.

"He's pretty good with kittens." Bombalurina nudged her sister.

"Yeah." Demeter smiled. "Can I talk to you in private?" Bombalurina nodded as the sister left shortly after Jennyanydots started screaming at the twins for hurting her child.

"Should I tell him that I'm the twin's mother?" Demeter asked. "I'm completely sure I want to be his mate, but I'm worried what he'll think if he knows."

"Are you ever going to tell the twins?" Bombalurina asked.

"I don't know." Demeter sighed.

Little did they know, Macavity was listening in on them, hidden in the mess of the junkyard.

In the night, Demeter was asleep, when Macavity woke her up. "Hm? Mac-"

"Quiet!" He hissed. "You have a lot of explaining to do." His eyes glowed with hatred.

"How did you find me?" She squeaked.

"Your scent." He rolled his eyes. "You hid the kittens from me." Demeter went silent. "You will pay for this." And just like that, he was gone.

"Demeter?" Bombalurina asked. "Are you okay?" Demeter was in too much of a panic to answer.

The next day, Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer were standing by the entrance, eager for something. "What are you two waiting for?" Demeter asked.

"Our dad is going to be here today!" Rumpleteazer smiled with excitement. "It's amazing."

"Oh, that's great." Demeter smiled back, while her heart sank. Her kittens were so excited to see their adoptive parent, if only they knew.

"If it will make you feel better, we aren't going to pull pranks today," Mungojerrie smirked.

"We aren't?" Rumpleteazer asked.

"Munkustrap told me that you two are adopted." Demeter distracted her. "Is that true?"

"Yep. Dad said that the usual punishment for stowaways is being pushed out of the moving train, but we're too cute for that." Rumpleteazer flattened her ears. "So he took us in."

"That was nice of him." Demeter nodded. "You were a cute kitten." She thought, flashing back to the faithful night on the train. "I just remembered that I need to talk to Munkustrap."

"All right. Bye." Rumpleteazer flicked her tail. Demeter turned away, tears starting to form. She went to Munkustrap's den.

"Demeter! How are-" Munkustrap noticed the tears in her eyes. "What's wrong?"

"I-" Demeter started to shake from nerves. "I can't tell you."

"Does it involve your mate?" Munkustrap asked. "If so I understand."

"It does." Demeter looked at her paws.

"You just wanted to be near me?" Munkustrap smiled. "Alright."

Outside, Skimbleshanks entered the junkyard and was tackled by his children. "I missed you two." He laughed. "Also I bought things for two." He licked both of their foreheads. "Just a collar and necklace that fell out of luggage."

Macavity watched from the trees. He looked at the twins with interest. "So these are my children, how amazing." He rolled his eyes. "They have no idea how their life is going to change today." And just like that, Macavity was out of the tree and in the junkyard. Cats took notice of the strange cat.

"Who's that?"

"Did he just come out of nowhere? What's going on?"

"What could he want?"

Skimbleshanks wrapped a tail protectively around his kittens. "What's a cat this strange-looking doing here?"

Munkustrap and Demeter left his den to see what the fuss was about. As soon Macavity spotted Demeter, his eyes turned to hatred.

"Demeter, I told you you would pay this." Macavity taunted her. Demeter was frozen in horror.

Bombalurina jumped in-between the two of them. "Stay away from her!"

"Demeter who is this?" Munkustrap asked. Demeter gave no response. "Who are you?!"

"I'm Demeter's mate." Macavity clawed at the silver tabby, who luckily dodged. "But, that's not why I'm here."

"Why are you here?!" Bombalurina hissed. "Demeter doesn't love you anymore!" Macavity sliced her shoulder, knocking her down, instead of answering.

"I'm here for my kittens." Macavity smiled. "The ones Demeter kept hidden from me for a year."

"Your kittens?" Munkustrap titled his head.

The tribe started to whisper among themselves. How could a cat like that have kittens in this tribe?

"Oh just ask Demeter." He looked at the shaking queen. Several other cats also looked at her in curiosity.

Demeter closed her eyes and sighed "I'm the mother of Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer. This cat, Macavity, is their father." Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer's eyes shot wide.

"She abandoned them on a train!" Macavity yelled.

"You would have killed them!" Demeter screamed back. "I had to protect them."

Old Deuteronomy came out of his den, following his younger son, Rum Tum Tugger. "What's going on?" He screamed. Several members of the tribe nuzzled him for comfort.

"There's an intruder!" Munkustrap yelled. Macavity glared at him and leaped at the tribe leader, his claws out. Tugger leaped at the ginger cat ready to fight back. And just like that, Macavity was gone.

"What happened?" Old Deuteronomy asked. "Is everyone alright?"

Munkustrap nuzzled his father. "Bombalurina hurt her shoulder. I'll tell you what happened in your den."

Old Deuteronomy nodded. "Alright, take Bombalurina to Jennyanydots, I'm sure she can help." Munkustrap nodded and helped the red queen up to her paws.

Demeter was still shaken when the twins came up to her. "Is it true?" Mungojerrie asked. "Are you our Mother?"

Demeter burst into tears as she nodded. "Yes." Rumpleteazer nuzzled her, and Demeter wrapped a tail around her. Mungojerrie placed a paw on one of her. Demeter felt the happiest she had ever been, fully reunited with her kittens. Skimbleshanks walked up to the family, the twins broke from the hug and nuzzled their adoptive father. "Thank you so much for taking them in." Demeter blinked the tears out of her eyes.

That night, the twins were in their den. Rumpleteazer was asleep but Mungojerrie kept tossing and turning. Eventually, he left the den to clear his head, and Macavity was there.