𝟭𝟬 || 𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗺𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀

Start from the beginning

"Come in," he told you, opening the door.

Before going in, you turned to Jean and gave him a reassuring nod, and proceeded to enter Lance's house, your old safe-haven.

Inside stood an angelic woman, with long mousy hair, holding a baby in her arms.

"y/n, this is my wife, Anna, and son, Finnian."

The woman's eyebrow arched skeptically at your name as you gave her an awkward smile, fiddling with your hands.

"y/n as in that y/n?" Anna asked Lance.
"Yes, her.  y/n, do you mind if I speak with my wife for a moment?" Lance asked.
"Uh, yeah, sure.  That's fine with me."  You smiled politely as Lance and Anna disappeared into the kitchen.

A minute or two later they returned, and Anna placed their son in his cot before fetching her coat and heading for the door.

"Anna's just going to buy some fine wine for us all to share.  Now, let's talk," Lance informed you, signalling to two chairs in the sitting room.

You took one opposite him and discussions began.  Lance seemed to have open ears, willing to listen to your side of the gruelling story.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

"...So that's why I did it...  I know that killing Alia was awful, and that I should've chosen to run away, but I was a scared child, and I panicked.  There's no excuse, other than my naïvety.  I didn't come here to give you excuses Lance, I came to apologise.  I'm so sorry-"

Your words were cut off by a fist launching into your face, then into your side, and then your stomach.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

jean's pov:

Trying to hear even the smallest part of the discussion, I had been stood with an ear to the door.  The only thing I had been able to pick up on was a doe-eyed woman who had left the house, locking the door shut behind her.

From through the wooden door I heard, "I'm so sorry."

That beautiful voice, music to my ears, but a song laced with pain. 

Over the last few days I began to really feel for the girl, especially after the incident with her mother.  While my mother had greeted me with smiles and home-cooking, hers had greeted her with deceit and hatred. 

All y/n had ever needed was love.

I was shaken out of my thoughts by several loud thuds, violent thuds.  There was a clattering noise, and the voice of a man shouting while a weaker one groaned in agony. It could only mean one thing.

The door banged and the locks rattled under the weight of my fist as I tried to barge in.

"Hey, open up! I'm a soldier, this is an order!" I shouted, the door not budging.  "Rrrrh," I strained in frustration, applying all my strength to it.  Every thud and muffled shout fuelled me on further, until my hands stung and I was practically throwing my body at the door.

A heart-shattering scream from y/n was the final kick I needed. The sound of it seemed to choke my chest, suffocating it in its grip as my heart ached even more. Taking one last run at the bolted door, I broke it off of its hinges.

Inside, a ferocious man lurched at y/n, so angry that it almost seemed he was frothing at the mouth, yelling all manner of obscenities at her. Blood was falling from the corner of her nose as she lay on the floor, clearly unconscious. 

Shit, why hadn't I got in here sooner?

Shouting at the top of my lungs, I ran at Lance, tackling him off of y/n. All the noise had triggered a baby to cry, but I continued anyway, beating the man senseless.

"You piece of shit!" I yelled, fixing his head under my hands and banging it against the floorboards, over and over.

Looking over my shoulder, I saw y/n's weary form laid over the floor, and my fury was doubled. As much as I wanted to tend to her, it would give Lance another chance to get back up and finish her off. Launching my boot into him, I kicked him in the gut, keeping him down.

A crash sounded from the opposite side of the room, as a number of other people entered.

I jolted my head, turning to see the woman from earlier, who was leading a band of soldiers wearing the Military Police uniform, her sweet smile having turned to a smug smirk.

"Shit," I cursed, shifting to y/n and shielding her with my arms, a final and useless attempt at hiding her identity.

Badly bruised, y/n's head lulled over in my lap, her heavy eyelids shut, red marks and bloodstains indicating a struggle scattered all over her. I traced the pads of my fingers across her sleeping face, looking over the injuries she had sustained fighting back with worry. 

Instinctively, I pulled her further into my arms and hugged her, realising it might be the last I would have with the girl.

"y/n l/n, you're under arrest."

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

word count : 1255

╚══════ ♥ ══════╝

╚══════ ♥ ══════╝