Chapter 1

Mono always hated being alone. It was a fact that he dealt with ironically alone, and it never really helped that he hadn’t always been alone.

Before he met Six in that rundown house he had been somewhere else, an orphanage maybe or a boarding school he couldn’t really remember the details clearly.

The buzz in his head only let him remember the bad memories, and he couldn’t remember for the life of him if he had been treated nicely or been scorned. The missing pieces of his memories bothered him a lot. He'd have rather remembered the good things, but all he knew was instead the fate of the children; and the spread of fire against wood.

The chaos that had started in that building was imprinted in his mind. The dark shadowy arms that reached for him in his dreams haunted him in unexpected ways. He remembered bits and pieces of the event. There were always the haunting screams in his dreams, and on especially bad days it bothered him along with the eerie door that resided in his dreams.

But the thing he hated most was that he never knew if he had been friends with any of the kids… and he thinks about his escape and lack of thought for anyone when he thinks of those possibilities. He had been lonely a lot back then, and slumped in small spaces all the time. Having been scared to be found by anyone.

He didn’t remember how he got to the forest, but he remembers the shock of seeing another kid. Who was also apparently shocked by him seeing as they had gotten caught soon after by the hunter.

He couldn’t pass up this opportunity to travel with them. He’d been alone for much longer than he’d appreciated.

The day he saved Six was the best day he’d had in a long time. They had been paranoid obviously but as they avoided the hunter’s shotgun together a friendship had bloomed. A friendship defined by the offering of a hand, one that Mono didn’t offer first surprisingly.

But in came the thin man and suddenly the brief safety was destroyed.

It was his fault really.. The static pull from the TV had been too much for him. He knew the door was dangerous and that it was concerning that he could go through TV’s in the first place. But a part of him was so curious he just had to know what was so important about the door. Big mistake there was nothing but a monster there.

A monster determined to chase them down. A monster that was by far the scariest they’ve come across. It didn’t help that there was a similar buzz from the monster that had Mono gripping his head in pain.

Six had been concerned for him tugging at him, but he couldn’t budge from the spot. When the monster started to come out of the TV Six tried once again to pull him away before the thin man could snatch him. But was overfilled by a sense of fear and against her wishes she darted into a dreary hallway.

Mono quickly snapped out of his stupor now that the thin man was fully revealed. The towering figure was threatening in it’s stance and stride. It had a purpose unknown to him.  Following the path Six took Mono scampered into the same hallway. The air around him was thicker than before, and he couldn’t run as fast. He still lost the thin man when he took a turn into a bedroom having followed Six’s shadow.

There was an old bed and a table in the room. The only two plausible hiding spots. He slid under the bed as Six situated herself under the table. As the adrenaline slightly receded he noticed how bad of a hiding spot the table was. Six would be noticed- there was still time though she could move to him.

As he was about to beckon Six over, there was an ominous creak that had him pausing.

The towering man had already entered the room, and their attention snapped to him.