☀︎︎ 𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧 ☀︎︎

When Lando asked me out earlier this day, I didn't expect to stand on a cliff, with my toes curled around the edge

When Lando asked me out earlier this day, I didn't expect to stand on a cliff, with my toes curled around the edge. Gusts of wind blew our hair out of our faces, other than a few strands sticking to my glossed lips. I looked down at the calm body of water below us, the waves sparkled in the setting sun. In the distance, the silhouettes of sailing boats. Birds sang, barely audible in combination with the wind and water.

I took a look to my side, Lando stood next to me, squeezing my hand tightly. However, he didn't appear nervous at all. Instead, he had a wide smile stuck on his face, and he wobbled on the spot, trying to get rid of the adrenaline that was contained in his body. All I could see was a complete fool, wishing for death to take him.

I had no fear of heights, but jumping off the highest (and only) accessible cliff in Lascuta, wasn't something I liked to do on a daily basis. Was I still going to do it? Yes, it was only a matter of when.

"Have I told you that I find you a bit of an idiot?" I asked Lando, darting my gaze between the calm sea and my date. Lando hummed something. It didn't get through. I was too busy trying to stand upon my own two feet. "I already thought so but this moment tops all."

"Yes, I love you too," he said, making my eyes widen in response. Did he just say he loved me? I blinked a few times, gazing at Lando later on. He flashed a small smile, but I was just a bit speechless. Taken into consideration we stood at the edge of a cliff, this was the weirdest place to tell someone how they felt. "On three, Caro."

So I had three seconds to tell him I loved him back or did I have three seconds before jumping off a cliff? There was a small difference if you asked me. A combination would be possible too, but it wasn't as romantic. On the other hand, falling while confessing love seemed pretty romantic.

"One, two, three!" Lando grabbed my hand and jumped off the cliff. We flew in the sky for a few moments before ducking into the sea. The cold water splashed everywhere when we got our heads above the water again. A mixture of laughing and catching our breaths was followed by swimming towards the nearest rock.

Lando reached out for my hand and pulled me up on the stone. I was still at loss for words, because of the 'I love you' and the literal jumping off a cliff. I mean, it was fun, not going to lie about that. I panted keeping my eyes on Lando who did the same thing. Rather than being mildly confused -like me- he looked like he accomplished something special, something great.

I wiped the salty water off my face and flipped my hair behind my shoulders. I hated wet hair, I despised it to say at least, but I had bigger fish to fry at the moment. I was still unable to comprehend the fact I jumped off a literal cliff. The same cliff I could see from my bedroom window, in the far distance.

When I was a bit younger, I sometimes saw the tiny figures of people standing up there. Late at night they often made campfires there. I was always able to spot the orange flames in the dark. I used to think those people were so idiotic. Mentally incapable to make a decent decision once in their lives. More often than not, the people who jumped were tourists, even though we didn't have many of those in the years before. There were small clubs of people, who usually connected with one another and then partied at the end of the holidays, a sort of goodbye. As I said, I believed those people had no brain cells left. Now that it was the end of summer for me and Lando, and we jumped off the cliff, I thought the same thing. We only got grouped with those same idiots too.