Chapter 10(???)

Authors note
Hey queen,
Man it's been awhile hasn't it? Anyway so I guess by now you can all tell that this is never going to get a rewrite. So enjoy this chapter I guess, it's probably the last one
And yes, I'm aware that this chapter repeats the end of the last one, just deal with it

The gates drew open and before the group lay a land covered in forest. Almost instantaneously, Naruto started freaking out, taking in every sight he could.

"What are you getting so excited about Naruto?" Sakura asked the question the whole group was wondering

"I've just never been outside the village before! I'm a traveler now, believe it!"

"What about you Maya?" Sakura turned to maya, ignoring the hyaenas comments of the famous bridge builder. Their argument wasn't that interesting anyway, "you've never been outside the village, right?"

"Of course not. I just got here after all"

Sakura looked puzzled for a moment, "hm, I'm just surprised you're not freaking out like Naruto"

Maya laughed a little at that, "well I've seen trees before, Sakura. Quite a lot in fact. I used to travel all the time where I come from"

"Wow, that sounds amazing. I bet you got sent out on missions like this all the time"

"Yeah, something like that..." maya was struck with a sudden pang of sadness.

She hadn't really thought about the life she had left behind. Her friends, the guild, her home. And her cat! The shininess of this new life hadn't worn off yet, but she was already torn. How could she make a life for herself here when she already had a perfectly good one waiting for her. Just once she got home. Would she be letting the people she loves down if she didn't look for a way out, if she liked this new life and this new world? Shouldn't she just squeeze a little more joy out of this before she had to go back? The sadness was replaced with guilt as she twisted the knife ever deeper into herself. They're probably looking for me, she thought, they're probably worried sick. Is it selfish of her to relish in this new reality while all her family mourns?

Maya was shaken out of her thoughts when Sakura called back to her, "you coming?" Maya looked up to see everyone waiting for her to catch up with them. The sun illuminating their silhouettes. If she couldn't get to her family back home, at least she had this one.

Kakashi had continued his spiel about the inner workings of villages and ninja when Maya had made it to them and they were off walking again.

"Wow the lord hokage is really that important!" Sakura said in admiration. But her tone of admiration didn't reflect her real thoughts, where she doubted the validity of her own statement. And it would seem Naruto thought the same. Maya in the other hand, had viewed the Hokage as sort of a guild leader and thought the importance af a hokage lived up.

"Hey! You all just doubted lord hogake, didn't you?" Kakashi saw straight through them and instantly the denial came flooding out. A clear sign they were lying. Kakashi continued, "ah anyway, they are no ninja battles in a C ranked mission. So you can relax"

Now this was news to Maya. Not running into any ninja? Most likely no fighting? Then why where they all going in a big group? Surely this is a one person job. Pretty much any job Maya had taken back home included some sort of skirmish.

A while later they passed a puddle of water. Maya was a bit puzzled. Did it rain recently? She couldn't remember. But I guess it didn't matter anyway since no one else seemed to pay it any mind. Oh well, that was a note to file away and then forget again. Maya returned to her conversation with Sakura, but before she could even get a word out everything was smoke and kuni.