THE BATTLE OF STARTCOURT

El screamed, sobbed and wailed in pain as the thing in her leg proceeded to squirm.

"What is that?" Erica looked at the sizzling skin.

"There's something in there." Mike stated while El still screamed.

"Keep her talking. Keep her awake, ok?" Jonathan demanded to us before he got up and ran to one of the food places.

"Hey, hey, hey. Stay awake, stay awake. Let's get her on this side, on this side." Mike said quickly.

"It's uh... you know, it's not actually that bad. There was a... the goalie on my soccer team, Beth Wildifire, this other girl slid into her leg, and the bone came out of her knee, six inches or something, it was insane." Robin ranted and it sounded like she was trying to make light out of the situation but it sure as hell wasn't working.

"Robin." Steve and I both grabbed her attention.

"Yeah?" She responded quickly.

"Maybe save it for later, ok?" I tried to be as nice to her as possible.

"I'm sorry." She apologized and it was evident she didn't know what else to say.

"Ok. All right, El? This is gonna hurt like hell, ok?" Jonathan came back to us and began to roll the bottom of El's jeans up.

El managed to cry out a small 'ok' to respond to him.

"Need you to stay real still. Here, you're gonna want bite down on this, ok?" Jonathan handed Mike a wooden spoon after putting on some gloves.

I could barely blink when Jonathan pulled out a giant knife from his side and brought it towards El's leg.

He looked up at everyone, questioning if he should do it.

"Do it." Mike gave him permission and he looked back down at El's leg.

Jonathan took the knife and sliced right through the skin on El's leg.

Apparently my hand was one of the only ones in reach because as soon as Jonathan began cutting, El grabbed my hand and squeezed it painfully hard.

I let it happen but soon enough Max had also grabbed my other hand out of uncomfortableness.

I saw Jonathan close his eyes for a second and he stuck his fingers under El's skin.

Some of us stared in shock while other were more audible about being disgusted.

I mean it was disgusting.

Not to mention horrifying to see one of your best friends go through that.

"Jonathan!" Nancy yelled at him to try and get him to hurry up.

"Stop talking!" Was all he could quiver up before he moved his finger around in her leg harshly once again.

"No! Stop it!" El spit out the spoon and shook her head rapidly.

"Jonathan!" Nancy held Jonathan's shoulder.

"Stop! Stop! I can do it." El whimpered, letting go of my hand which now that she had let go it was starting to hurt from her squeezing it.