Chapter Twenty-Eight - Love Is Confusing And Painful

Start from the beginning

"Wow, thank you for helping me out Aury! You are such a good person." Merrill went to put an arm around my shoulder but stopped in place once he saw the cold look I shot at him. He let out a chuckle as he pulled back his arm to his side.

"We should probably check out the area near our resting area. We should separate so it will be quicker. We will come back to this area when the sun is setting to eat. I have some food that can be cooked over a fire." I took out the food that I packed away in my bag and they were in another bag. I went to a tree that was nearby and climbed it with the bag of food in my hold still.

I got to the branch of the tree and tied the food to it and then climbed down it. I looked up at the food that was in the tree and was satisfied to see the food was somewhere far enough that an animal couldn't get it but easy for me to get it down from the tree.

"You looked so cool climbing that tree and tying our food on the branch! I couldn't do that since I have never climbed a tree before. You are so good at everything, Aury!" Merrill looked at me with bright eyes as he clapped his hands. I really didn't see what I did as something special, it was just common sense and another could have done it.

"I am heading off to the right, you can head to the left. Don't go too far if you are sure that you will get lost in the forest. And remember to come back to this area when the sun is about to set, okay?" I looked at Merrill seriously as I said this and after he gave me a nod of understanding, I went off to the right to see what was nearby.

I found a bush filled with berries that were okay to eat but rather sour. It could get sweet if it was boiled with water so I got a few of them. After I did that I walked a bit farther and found a stream of water. This looked like a good place that we could get water from to drink. I also noticed there was fish in the water as well and realized we could also use this as a food source.

The food I brought with me would only last for at most three days so we would have to search for our own food soon after. After I was done with this I noticed the sun was setting and went to go back to the area with our tents.

When I got back I noticed that Merrill was back already and he was starting a fire. Once he got it started he put his hand to the ground and rock surrounded the fire. It became like a fireplace and I realize this would make it a bit easier for us to start a fire later on.

"You are back! I started a fire, didn't I do a good job?" Merrill gave me a smug smile as he looked at me but I couldn't help but notice he was waiting for me to give him some sort of reply. Did he want me to praise him or something like that?

"You did a good job at making a fire. It also was smart to build around the fire, it will be easier to just keep this area for us to start the fire in." I didn't see the point of not telling him that he did a good job. He was helpful so he should know that.

"...Oh, I see." Merrill's smug smile on his face disappeared and emotions I couldn't read appear on his face. He was quiet now so I just went to get the food from the tree and went to cook it using the fire that was built.

I shared out the cooked food and ate quietly. Merrill seemed to be lost in thought and it didn't really bother me too much. He went back to his usual self after he finished eating and I just assume he was acting like that because he was really hungry.

I didn't say anything to him and he told me he was going to sleep first. I just nodded my head at that and went to mush up the berries that I had on me. The berries were actually rather useful with helping out medically speaking as well. If someone were to cut themselves pretty badly or twist or break a bone it would help out with the pain and healing. I put the mashed berries in a container that I placed in my bag.