#1 Being the clown

Lying in my dim-lit dorm, I stare at the empty bed that once belonged to my roommate Gianna. Gianna Bright. The sky is upset today. The wind blows strongly pushing a flower pot to fall over from the window. A thunderclap is heard when there's a knock on the door.

Standing up, I get to the door only to be pushed against the wall.

She throws the bottle away as cold water starts dripping from my hair. Yanking my hair, she says "Alondra, personally, I have nothing against you but my mom told me that people like you belong in jail."

"Let go," I say in a low voice almost inaudible.

They let out a burst of laughter and mock "Let go, she said. She sure acts like an heiress."

The group rummages through my drawers, pulling out a chain. "Someone likes Dora the Explorer. Did she lose her map and accidentally end up here?"

Walking to them, I snatch it away and clench it in my fist. I push them aside and walk towards the door when it opens from outside and there stands a girl with the red cylindrical metal. Fire extinguisher. F*ck.

Running out of moves, I turn around and climb up the window. "Hope to never see you again," I mutter, and jump out of the window, landing on a grass bed. Alondra, dust your pants and run.

It soon starts raining cats and dogs fogging up my glasses. It's noisy and cold. I walk in no particular direction when I hear a crack from the heel. Unbuckling stilettos, I toss them away and notice a silhouette walking over.

He removes his jacket and puts it on my shoulder.

"I won't ask you where you are going but stay safe," he comments returning me the stilettos.

"Colton, I-"

But it's too late. Colton left.

In the middle of a night with robotycas patrolling the city, I walk barefoot on the empty street surrounded by skyscrapers. The evening feels chilly, making me rub my palms against my jeans. How long is it until I can reach home?

One of the blue robotycas approaches me and scans my face asking, "Ms. Alondra Everston, how may I help you?"

"I-I am just going home," I answer hesitantly, knowing the robotycas would scan my address from my ID.

"3750, Peace Avenue, Cyclostar City?"

Giving a slight nod, he offers to help when we hear a car honk. The black Mercedes comes to a halt, and the owner lowers the window on the opposite side. Brother.

"She's coming with me," he comments, opening the door on my side. The robotyca scans his face and comments, "Alright, Mr. Darian Everston. Follow the traffic rules."

The robotyca goes out of our sight once I get into the passenger seat. Darian starts the vehicle. He eyes me down once before turning on the heater and then comments, "Didn't get enough time to put on shoes?"

"Jumped outta the window."

Shaking his head, he comments, "You are 15. Stop acting on impulse."

After a few minutes, he stops at the EV charging station giving out a sigh. It's been ten years since the COVID-19 pandemic ceased to exist, but if you expected flying cars and floating houses, you are wrong. The only difference in today's society is the addition of robots called robotycas. And the absence of politicians.

Humans and robotycas lived in harmony where humans were considered superior until the pandemic of 2023 which swept off half of the population. Not having enough workforce, robots grew more popular. Today, we live in the Pokemon world with robotycas instead of Pokemon, and battling two Robotycas against each other is an interesting sport.