Chap 1- A new life

"Did you hear that papa? Devraj and his family are moving into "The Bhatias' Residence." They have purchased the second floor!" Colonel Vijay Tiwari told his father while serving him his morning tea.

"Thats wonderful news!" said Retired Brigadier Mohan Tiwari," I havent seen Devraj in years. The last time I saw them was on Avni's eighth birthday celebration."

"I know," said Colonel Vijay," Papa, I will take your leave now. I must return to the cantonement."

Saying so, Colonel Vijay went into his room to get dressed. His daughter Suman was ironing his army uniform.

"Papa," she said recognising the sound of his footsteps," will you be able to come for the republic day function in my school? I will be representing my school in the parade!"

"I cant promise," said Colonel Vijay," but let me tell you that I feel so proud that my daughter is the first female cadet to earn this honor."

"No worries papa," she said with a smile on her face," You can get dressed now. And I will ask Damroo bhaiya to prepare breakfast."

Suman left the room and walked towards the kitchen where Damroo was busy kneading the flour.

"I will prepare papa's favourite masala chai," she thought and happily began working.

The Malhotra family was travelling to their new residence in two separate cars. All the furniture had been arranged and the house was almost ready to be moved into.

"Why Bhopal papa?" Shravan asked his father," I loved Delhi so much."

"Yes, I know," said Devraj," you enjoyed bunking school and going to the cinema , you enjoyed late night parties and what not! But here, you will live a disciplined life. We are moving into a colony where majority of the residents are people from the Indian army. You will get to learn so much."

"Why are you always after my son," his wife Kavita interrupted him.

"Kavita ji," said Devraj," I know that you both didnt want to leave Delhi. But you know how heavily our business has suffered. After a lot of hardwork, I have got this deal of designing bullet proof jackets for the Indian army. How could I let it go?"

"I know," said Kavita," dont worry dear. It will all be fine very soon."