Gabe smiles fondly. "Big man, we don't know in which form the key is hidden. For all I know, it might look like Mr. Carrot. You see, the Keipar fairies are very smart. And the portal key is their most precious treasure, so it goes without saying that it will be well guarded."

'Why did Gabe look sad when Alex drank the liquid?' The girl wonders but decides that it was not the right time to interrogate the fairy. She holds her brother's hand and starts counting on her finger. "One, we have to be careful and try to avoid being detected; two, I must not let go of Alex's hand; three, we have to find the key, which may not look like a key. Four, to return home, we must tap on our wrist. Five, in case we get detected by them, we must not believe anything they say because they may be trying to trick us into staying." She looks between Aristotle's bloated, stretched face and Gabe. "I think that covers it." She says confidently and then asks. "So, how do we enter the Dwelling of the Dark?"

Gabe moves closer to the book and taps on the top left corner twice. "To the portal, if you please." He whispers in an urgent but hesitant tone, but nothing happens.

Gabe repeats the words. Still nothing. 'Why is the gateway not opening?' He wonders and is about to try again when Aristotle's strained voice falls on his ears. 'You don't have it in you anymore. I guess that's why it didn't listen to you. Ask Alex and Zhandra to summon the gateway.'

Gabe turns around to see the siblings looking at him expectantly. "Ah. My apologies. I had forgotten that you must ask it to appear as you are the ones who will be entering the Dwelling of the Dark." He rubs the back of his neck. "Please place your pinky fingers here," He instructs, touching the top left corner of the page. "And repeat after me: To the portal, if you please."

The siblings do as told. A split second later, their bodies disappear in a swivel of smoke and get sucked into a hole similar to the one they had seen their most beloved possessions disappear into earlier in the day.
As soon as all the smoke has entered into the hole, it vanishes. Instantly the book starts to shrink.

"At this point, all I want is for them to return, Aristotle." Gabe voices his concern when the book stops shrinking. Aristotle hums. "Gabe, I know you care about all your charges, but being this selfless is not good. Why didn't you tell them that now that all the nectar is gone, even if they were to finish the tasks, you still won't be able to return home unless you give up your wings!?" Aristotle's anger and frustration seep into his words."

Gabe's temper rises. "They are already putting themselves in danger, Aristotle! Why should I worry them more? Alex is a child. It is not his fault that he drank the contents. I should have been more careful."

Aristotle huffs. "Whatever. You can't change it." He bites out before disappearing from the opened page.
Gabe sighs. "My Lady, please watch over them for me." He prays, closing his eyes and intertwining his fingers. "Keep them safe."

*****

When the siblings come to, they find themselves lying on the grass. The beauty and softness of it don't affect Alex, who stands up and dusts himself off. Meanwhile, Zhandra can't help but run her fingers through its fine blades. "Zhaaaan!" Alex whispers urgently. "Get up. We need to find the key!"

"Alright. Alright." Zhandra stands up reluctantly and looks around. The place is picture-perfect, like a painting exuding hues of pink and green. A mild fragrance of chocolate and honey lingers in the air. She breaths in deeply. "Alex, do you smell it?"
Alex nods. "Strawberry." He replies.

"En? Don't you smell chocolate and honey?" She asks her brother. Alex shakes his head. "I can smell strawberries and cookies." He licks his lips. Turning to his right, he says, "Zhan, it is coming from there. Let's go there."

Alex tugs on Zhandra's shorts, urging her to follow him, but the older stops him. "Alex, are you sure that the smell is coming from there?"

Alex bobs his head. "Why?"

Zhandra's grip on Alex tightens; she pulls him behind a bush laden with baby pink blossoms. Alex looks at his sister, bewildered. "Did you spot a bad fairy?" He asks in a hushed tone.
"Alex, I think that we can't trust anything here, however true it might seem."

"Mn." Alex nods, and Zhandra continues. "I think the sights and smells want us to forget why we are here. I think the surroundings are trying to mislead us."

"Mn?" Alex tilts his head.

"Alex, remember, we are here for the key. I think we will find the key in the direction that looks least appealing."

"Are you saying that there are no strawberries and cookies?"

Zhandra nods. "I am sorry, Alex, but that seems to be the case. Remember, the riddle told us to be careful not to taste anything. I think that applies to everything."

"Ohhhhh." Alex drags. "You are so smart, Zhan." He says, looking impressed.

"Thanks, Alex. You are pretty great too." She says, lightly pinching his cheek. Then, scanning the area, she asks. "Which direction do you not want to go?"

Alex turns and points to the left. "There."

"I don't feel like going there either." She states. Then smiling, they look at each other before rushing towards the area that attracted them the least.

{Chapter Word count: 1630;Word count so far: 16375}

Word count so far: 16375}

{Chapter Word count: 1630;Word count so far: 16375}