Chapter 6

"Aaaagggh! My Lady, have mercy." Gabe winces. He opens his eyes slowly, and immediately panicking, he looks around for a place to hide. After all, his surroundings were different from when he had lost consciousness.

His eyes come to rest on a pile of denim clothes in various shades of blue. He musters his strength, and with a silent prayer to The Lady, who he reported to every night at two minutes past twelve (human time), he starts crawling.

As Gabe begins his short crawl towards safety, two things instantly become clear to him. First, that he had panicked about his safety unnecessarily, for he was obviously in a wardrobe. If someone wanted to harm him, he would not be waking up on top of soft fluffy scarfs where he had found himself as soon as he had come to, and second, that his pouch was considerably lighter.
He stops midway and rampages through the contents of the pouch. The realization that Aristotle was indeed missing from his usual resting place both confuses and scares him. As it is, his 'nap' had left him feeling a little disoriented, so he thinks it best to recall the chronological order of the events that had transpired before his body had forced him to take it.
As usual, he makes a mental list.

1. The kids brought me to their room. By the way, where are they!?
2. The place on the younger child's bed was stinky.
I feel like it's an important fact and that I should know why it bothered me so much, but I can't remember it.
3. I need to know the time.
If I can't get to the portal by twelve tonight, I will be stuck here forever!
No. That's not an option.
Also, where is Aristotle!?

It is at this moment that he remembers that he had instructed the siblings to read the book. Was it possible that the kids had done that, he wonders; he peeks outside the wardrobe, which was left half-open.
He scans the room with keen eyes and immediately spots Aristotle on the older sibling's bed, fast asleep!

"Aristotle!" Gabe calls out to his companion angrily, waving his arms over his head. When the book continues to slumber, Gabe looks up and leaves an exasperated sigh. "My Lady, of all the companions you could have assigned to me, why did it have to be him?"

"ARISTOTLE!" Gabe raises his voice by an octave, startling his companion awake.

The book, or rather, the face on the book, opens its eyes. "Gabe, my friend, are you finally awake?"

"Yes!" Gabe replies, angry and irritated. "How could you think of taking a nap at a time like this!?"

"Gabe, could you stop speaking from where I can't see you and get your bottom here? Also, no need to yell. You need to keep your voice lowered to avoid calling attention to yourself." Aristotle advises.

Gabe huffs. "How inconsiderate of you!" he whispers. Aristotle hears it, for the fairy and their companion shared a deep bond. Their fates were tied together, you see. One of the perks of this arrangement was that Aristotle could always hear Gabe if he so wished. The volume of the voice did not matter.

Aristotle realizes his mistake as soon as he hears Gabe. "I am sorry. I guess I forgot that Zhandra had placed you in the cupboard."

Gabe sighs again. This time a little condescendingly. "I am in the wardrobe, Aristotle, not the cupboard." He corrects his companion before pressing on. "Where are the kids?"

"With their daddy."

"Ah," He nods slowly and retrieves a small pocket watch from the pouch; it is unique. It is square, and instead of time, it shows how the sky must look now if anyone were to walk out in the open and look up at it.
"Did the kids agree to help us?" He asks, wiping his brow with the back of his hand.

Aristotle nods before remembering that Gabe can't see him. "Yes, they seem determined. They might be able to help us get back home." He replies. "They both took the oath and completed the first task." He adds, sounding surprised and impressed.