Chapter 8

The fairy opens his pouch, pulls out a small glass jar from it, and holds it out to Zhandra. "This is the water from Fairyland. It is supposed to taste like candy."

Alex grabs it even before his sister's hand has traveled half the distance; opening it, he empties its contents into his mouth in one swift motion.
"No!" The fairy cries out.

"Alex, no!" Zhandra warns. However, it's too late. The boy hums, savoring the after taste of the liquid as it makes its way down the boy's throat.

"Oh-O." Aristotle shakes his head and leaves an exasperated sigh. "When you know we have a curious child present in the vicinity, why did you put something of such great importance in front of him where he could grab it so easily?"

"Alex, you shouldn't have done that!" Zhandra reprimands Alex, who smiles cheekily. "It was yummy. Hehe." He chuckles.

Looking and feeling guilty, Zhandra's gaze settles on Gabe. "Sorry. I should have been quicker." Her brows knit. "Is it dangerous? Will it hurt him?"

Gabe shakes his head. "No."

"Then what will it do?" She asks and follows Gabe's eyes. He is staring at the book, which starts expanding once again.

"What is happening?" Zhandra asks, pulling Alex behind her, shielding him.

"Alex, is any of it left?" Gabe asks the boy, who nods. "Give it to your sister." He watches Zhandra take the glass jar. "Drink whatever is remaining." He instructs. The girl tilts it over her mouth open mouth, and three drops of clear liquid fall into it. "Swallow it, little lady," Aristotle says. His face is now thrice its usual size (and expanding). Zhandra does as asked and returns the jar to Gabe while giving a stink eye to her brother.

"You know where you will find the key. The drink is special. Now that you have had it, you can get inside the Dwelling of the Dark undetected. Once you are there, you might run into those who call themselves Keipar Fairies. They look like I do. The only difference is that they will have a red rim around their iris." He holds out his hand to Alex and points to a horizontal line of faint pink dots adorning the inside of his wrist. "Since Alex drank most of it, he can stay for longer, but I doubt you will let him do that." Zhandra quirks her brow.

"A drop of it can help you stay there for five minutes. Since you had three drops, you can stay for fifteen minutes." Gabe elaborates.

"What happens when the fifteen minutes are up?"

"Well, you will be thrown out, obviously." Aristotle answers. "Don't worry. You will land up back here."

Alex and Zhandra nod. A second later, however, Zhandra's face falls. "Wait, what if I get thrown out, and Alex can't follow me? What if we encounter those mean faires? What will we do then?" Zhandra panics.

"Calm down, my dear. Listen carefully. Never let go of Alex. In case you can find the key before the time is up, tap on it thrice." Gabe points to the pink dots. "Even if they spot you. They won't harm you physically. They will, however, try to do everything  in their power to stop you from leaving."
"But won't we get thrown out once the time is up?" Zhandra enquires. Gabe nods and sighs. "These fairies are tricksters. Very few people- human children, have ever attempted what you are planning to do. And only one has ever returned." Gabe's eyes are sad as his gaze moves from Zhandra to Alex. "The boy, he was only able to return because he did not get caught by them. His friends were not so lucky. He said that they drank something, and then they did not want to return anymore."

"That's strange." Zhandra pauses. "But it makes sense too. The riddle did hint at it. By the way, how does the key look?"

Alex chuckles. "Zhan, you are so silly. A key looks like a key. It won't look like Mr. Carrot."