I abided by the rules. Did what Calvin asked. Don't wear this; you're showing too much. Don't go out here; thugs will try to take you. Don't speak to this person; they might corrupt your mind and say we aren't suitable for each other.

Many red flags, a whole bunch of signs, literally people telling me that I should leave, but I stayed. Some would say that I waited for money, but that wasn't it

I was lonely. In a big world where I couldn't trust anyone, I had him. He played the role of making it seem like he cared and wanted to fix me. I fell head over heels like a naive teenager, an unsuspecting child.

But it was all in my head. Even in is his arms, I still felt the lonely feeling, but I stayed. It was more company than I had in years.

Now that I look back, I remember the day he fell out of love for me.

*Flashback*

"So, doc. Is she pregnant?" An overly excited Calvin asked. Lucinda sat on the bed with a small smile plastered on her face. She was a bit nervous, but she felt excited.

Doctor Laurent turned and looked a bit upset. The smile on Lucinda's face dropped when she noticed his facial expression.

"I'm not pregnant, aren't I?" Lucinda spoke softly.

"Let him talk, honey; we don't know that," Calvin told Lucinda, turning back to Doctor Lauren, hoping it wasn't true.

"Sadly, she is right. Lucinda is not pregnant," Doctor Laurent asserted.

Although she saw his facial expression beforehand, Lucinda felt hurt. She knew how badly Calvin wanted a baby.

Calvin shook his head, and his arms dropped right beside him.

"See what happened wa-"

"I don't even want to know," Calvin said.

"Are you sure? It's crucial information?" Doctor Laurent reassured.

"I said I don't want to know. If you'll excuse me, we'll be on our way. Luci, let's go," Calvin said, barely even waiting for her. Lucinda turned to the doctor, ready to ask, but Calvin yelled out her name.

"Thank you for your time, Doctor," Lucinda said and walked out the room, trying to catch up to Calvin.

The whole car ride back was silent. No music, no conversation, nothing.

When they entered the house, Lucinda was trying to reach for Calvin's coat, but he waved her off. She looked at him a little lost, but she backed off.

She went to the kitchen and grabbed a water bottle for Calvin. Calvin sat down on one of the chairs in the dining room, lost in thought.

She tried to and him the water bottle, but he smacked it out of her hand.

"Cal-"

"No, no. I don't want to hear, eat, drink anything," Calvin said.

"I understand you're upset; I'm sad too. I know how much you wanted a baby, and I did too. But we're in this together, and we can try again," Lucinda said as she placed her hands on his.