CHAPTER 30- I Can't Make You

Start from the beginning

I stood up and left the bench and headed towards the plans laid across the floor to pick them up. I gathered them neatly in one pile and focused on the plan on the table. Although my eyes are giving up on me, I have to stay awake to finalize the drawings for Peggy and Quincy's garden. I also have to lay it out perfectly for the decorations and furniture to be used on their anniversary.

I sighed heavily and started working, hoping that this task will divert my attention from him.

---

The lights are sparkling and the night is beautiful as the crisp winds of October graze my skin. Everybody is having a great time and everyone is happy about the couple celebrating another year of a bountiful marriage.

Jaz and I are busy checking some final touches for the house although it's already put together nicely. The evening is magical as expected even if the people behind this are stressed beyond belief, myself included.

I quietly observed everything out of the eyes of the public since I'm just here for formality. Peggy and Quincy also invited Jaz, Ace, and me, which I gladly accepted since they have grown close to me. We've been stressing about this house together and it's been a fun opportunity and experience to be working with them.

The jazz band is softly playing in the background and the guests are happily dancing with their significant other. My heart swells with excitement and sorrow at the same time, knowing that this can be the only chance I'll get to see true love and happiness.

Since my business is already done here, I decided to leave the room.

As I exited from where I was standing, the piano started playing but I didn't get to see who was the person behind it. I was too overwhelmed to even look back so I made my way to the other end of the living room where there's access to the other side of the garden.

This garden is dimly lit but there are no guests here since the party is mostly happening at the back. The faint piano playing can still be heard and it calmed me as I stand there in peace. I close my eyes and took the moment to take it all in.

As I stand there in solace, a pair of hands caressed my arms and I immediately know who it is. My heart began to race as I cross my arms and put one hand on my chest.

"What are you thinking?" he whispered closely in my ear and got goosebumps as I close my eyes.

"What are doing here?" I said to him straight.

"To see you, my angel," my heart ached at his nickname for me.

His hands trailed down on my waist and gently pulled me in closer as our bodies are pressed together. He buried his face on the nook of my neck and he slowly swayed to the song faintly playing in the background.

"I miss you," he whispered lightly and softly.

"Michael, I told you-"

"I don't care what you told me. I am serious about you Mia. Just please, don't push me away," he released me and turned me around to face him. His eyes and his whole demeanor are begging for me to listen to him.

"I mean it when I told you I like you. Give me a chance, please," I got lost in his pleading eyes and immediately all my walls have been knocked down and he started leaning in. Everything came so easily and naturally as I relaxed against his touch and let him lean in further.

Our faces are only inches away but I stopped as I hear someone whispered my name repeatedly.

"Mia...