23

"Luke." I sobbed from my side of the phone.

"Ellie what's wrong?" He asked worriedly which only made me cry more.

"M-My m-mom." I said through my sobs and tried to control my breathing more so I could actually tell him what happened.

"Baby what happened? I'm coming over." He said with his voice filled with worry and concern. I've never really cried this hard, at least in a while.

"No no you can't. S-She can't see you here." I said and heard silence on the other end for a few minutes.

"What?" He asked. I could tell he was super confused. I wanted to just spit it out, but I didn't want to hurt him and I couldn't really stop crying.

"S-She doesn't want us to be together anymore. She thinks you're distracting me from everything else, which you're not. I promise you that she's wrong, she just never thinks she's wrong." I said as I cried and held my knees to my chest on my bed. I needed Ashton, or even just my dad to come home so that I could talk to them. They're the only ones that might actually be able to help.

"We have to break up?" He asked sadly. And if I heard correctly, which I think I did, I heard his voice crack.

"No! No I'm not breaking up with you. She wants me to but I'm not. I-I'm gonna try and talk to my dad when he gets home. He loves you so maybe he can talk some sense into her I don't know." I said and wiped my tears from my cheeks that I'm sure were stained with mascara and runny makeup.

"You're so special to me Lu, I'm going to do everything I can to change her mind." I said after he hadn't said anything. I wanted nothing more than to just scream that I love him but I couldn't do it over the phone. I couldn't do it now, even if that was the only thing I wanted to do.

"I can't lose you Ellie." He whispered vulnerably.

"You're not going to. I can't lose you either, I'm not going to let this happen." I said and bit down on my bottom lip to keep from saying what I've been wanting to say for weeks.

"She doesn't want us together, there's nothing else you can do." He said sadly and let out a frustrated sigh.

"I'm not giving up on us." I said assertively and wiped the tip of my nose.

"Ellie..." He trailed off which made me start crying all over again.

"Do you want to break up?" I asked through my tears and held my free hand on my cheek.

"No I don't. You don't understand how much I need you, but if your mum doesn't like me then what?" He said and I let out a shaky breath as the tears streamed down my face.

"My mom doesn't even like me. My dad likes you, my brother does, and all of my friends do. Her opinion doesn't matter, it never does. Please don't let her get in your head. I need you Lu, please stay with me." I begged and covered my mouth with my hand and screwed my eyes shut.

"What are you going to do to change her mind?" He asked after a long silence.

"I'm going to talk to my dad and Ashton, I'm hoping they'll change her mind." I said through my sniffles and wiped my cheeks.

"What if that doesn't work?" He asked worriedly.

"I don't know, but I'm not giving up on you." I said assertively.

"I'm not giving up on you either." He said softly but surely.

"My dad just got home, I'll talk to him. I'll figure this out I promise." I said once I heard my dads familiar footsteps walk through the house.

"Okay." He said and let out a breath.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow." I said and tucked my hair behind my ear.

"I'll see you tomorrow beautiful." He said and I felt my cheeks warm up and a small smile appear on my face.

When I hung up the phone I texted my dad and asked him to come up to my room. He didn't answer, but he read it so I knew he'd be up in a couple seconds.

"What's wrong honey?" He asked with a worried look on his face and came over to sit on my bed.

"Mom wants me to break up with Luke. She thinks he's distracting me. She wants me to be home more so I can cook and clean for everyone, she wants me to get a real job, she thinks my grades are going to shit, and she says I'm getting too fat to play softball." I said softly and rested my chin on my knees.

"Don't break up with Luke, he's a good kid and I happen to like him a lot. He's not distracting you either, he's only making you more focused on everything else. She's just mad because she doesn't have someone to look after her house. Your grades are fine, you're not getting fat at all, and you don't need a job unless you want to get one. You've got a lot going on with school, softball, and maintaining a social life. I don't expect you to work on anything else. I'll talk to her and see if there's something I can do." He said and put his hand on my shoulder.

"She said she'll ground me the entire summer if I don't break up with him and stay home more so I can clean the house." I said and looked up at him.

"I won't let her do that. You just keep doing what you're doing. She's barely even home anyway so it doesn't matter. I'm sorry she's doing this to you." He said and stood over me.

"Why does she hate me?" I asked softly.

"She doesn't hate you." He said, I knew he was lying though. He probably just didn't want to have to tell me that the person that gave me life hates me.

"She does, everyone knows it. She doesn't treat Ashton nearly as awful as me."

"I'll talk to her." He sighed and headed out of my room.