7

"Don't watch television in the dark," I said, turning on the lights. "It ruins your eyes."

Ollie glanced up and shrugged. "I heard that was a myth."

"Do you really wanna test that?"

He blinked. "I guess not."

"Good." I then smiled. "Calla's coming over today. With Britta."

He perked up, and turned to stare at me with wide eyes. "When?"

"In like ten minutes."

"Oh."

"Yeah," I crossed my arms, leaning against the doorframe. "So are you gonna greet them in underwear and a tank top?"

His face turned red. "..no."

"Then change."

He nodded quickly, scurrying out of the room. I sat down in his place, switching the channel. Not more than two minutes had passed when he came back and glared, snatching the remote from my hand. "I was watching something."

I raised an eyebrow. "Okay? And? You left, so technically I was allowed to watch whatever."

"I'm back now."

"And I'm not gone, therefor, it's still my turn to watch TV."

"You-"

"Harlow, I'm going to work," Mom said, "and then to your aunt's. You know she's down the street so if you need anything just go there." She then paused before adding, "I'll tell you when I am there. Help yourself to anything in the fridge. Don't touch any of sweets though."

"Then don't put any sweets in the fridge."

"You do realize the ice cream would melt if I didn't?"

"That's an exception. I'm pretty sure the brownies would do just fine sitting at the top of the pantry."

"They wouldn't."

"Are you leaving right now?" I asked.

She glanced up at the clock that was hanging above the wide doorway. "Mhm. Love you, Oliver. Harlow."

"Yeah," I muttered. "See you."

"LOVE YOU MOM!" Ollie screamed.

"Dude," I said, kicking his leg. "Shut up. You're so loud and for what?"

The front door closed.

"Wanna play Mario kart?" He asked eagerly, ignoring what I had just said.

"Not really. Calla is gonna be here in a bit, so..." My voice quieted as the doorbell rang. "They're here."

"Duh. Who else would be at the door?"

"A salesman," I said, walking to the door. I opened it, and Britta grinned back at me. "Hi, hi!"

"Hey," I said, eyeing the slightly taller girl next to her. Calla followed my gaze and shrugged. "That's Gia," she said. "Hope you don't mind. I forgot their play date was scheduled for today."

"It's fine," I said. "But we should probably go outside."

Once outside, I realized just how hot it was. The heat surprised me, and though I almost never sweated, it sure felt like I was. I blinked, staring at Calla in bewilderment. She turned to me. "What?"

"You're not on your phone for once."

She gave a small smile and gestured towards Ollie. "Watch him. It's very entertaining."

"What're you doing?" He asked, walking up to Britta and Gia. They looked up.

"Making a fairy house," said Gia.