1

TW: mental and physical abuse.

Yelling. That's all what Regulus heard.

His mother was screaming at his brother, Sirius, for being a blood traitor and befriending mudbloods, half-bloods and half-breeds. Sirius was yelling back, defending his friends. Regulus holed himself up in his room, not wanting to face the chaos downstairs, and he was trying to do literally anything to distract himself from it. Trying to drown out the yelling, but nothing seemed to be working. Even reading a book wasn't helping, which usually did. Then he froze when he heard a slap echoing through the house, then he heard something he never wished to hear again, but was sadly used to. Bone chilling shrieks. Tortured screams of pain. Sirius.

He knew those screams all too well. His mother was using the Cruciatus Curse on his brother, and her son, her own flesh and blood. But she didn't seems to care. She never seemed to care.

He could go down and help him somehow, but for one, he knew his mother would never listen to a word he'd say. And for two, he was too much of a coward, becuase he was scared he'd get hurt too. Next thing he heard was Sirius stomping up the stairs to his room and slamming the door so loudly, it shook the house. Getting up to check on Sirius seemed routine by now, he noted dejectedly. He knocked on his brother's door gently, he heard shuffling coming from inside the room then the door opened.

"Are you okay?" Regulus asked softly, concerned for his brother's health. Both mental and physical.

"Do I look okay?" Sirius snapped harshly, he was not in the mood to talk to anyone after the torture, his whole body was sweaty and trembling as the aftermath, courtesy of his mother.

Then, as if a lightbulb in his mind lit up, he started scrambling around his room grabbing a trunk, packing as much of his belongings he could get his hands on.

"Where are you going?" Regulus asked in a slightly apprehensive voice, hovering anxiously near the doorframe. But inside he already knows the answer. He wasn't naïve. And he didn't like the answer. At all. He didn't want his brother to leave him in this hellhole.

"The Potters." Sirius muttered blankly, still frantically shoving things in his trunk. He couldn't seem to grasp the bigger picture in this situation in his rush to get out of the Black's household.

That knocked the breath out of Regulus. He knew what his answer was gonna be, but it still shocked him. Sirius' answer pinched his heart slightly, before he quickly shoved his feelings down.

"So you're just gonna leave me in here?" Regulus snapped, eyes widening slightly in alarm. He hated this place, but at least he always had his brother by his side. Always.

Not anymore. Regulus thought to himself bitterly.

Sirius briefly stopped his speedy packing, and turned to look at Regulus.

"Come with me." Sirius suggested in distress. Although he and Regulus haven't been close for years, he didn't want to leave him here.

"I can't Sirius, you know they won't let me go if they know you're running away." Regulus' hushed voice broke the silence. Regulus knew this is a one time opportunity to leave this place, but something was pulling him back.

He wanted his stupid, undeserving, ungrateful family to proud of him. Just for once. He had tried everything to get on their good side. Getting straight O's in every subject, never disobeyed them, he never talked to muggle-borns or anyone of the sort. Nothing he ever did seemed like enough. And he's so tired of feeling like that.

Sirius' voice broke him out of his inner turmoil. "Please, Reg." Sirius begged him to come with him, to keep him safe, but it seemed like there was no changing the younger Black's mind.