Chapter 10

"I don't know if I can help you," Leo admitted, his piercing eyes watched us with unequal intensity. We sat in lawn chairs in his field, in his sliver of this afterlife.

"There is no way of knowing how much time I have, Leo, so we have to get started as soon as possible. I want to learn why I'm stuck here, why I'm connected to Adrian."

"The only idea I have is a little risky, and you're not going to like it, pal." Leo said, glancing at Adrian.

"Just tell me." I gave him a pointed look. Adrian sighed and corrected himself. "Tell us."

"The only lead you have so far has come from that reaper, and we all know-"

"Absolutely not," Adrian seethed.

"You didn't let me finish." Leo watched him disapprovingly. "We all know that reapers have access to more knowledge than we do. They are more connected to the Records than any Bridge is. They could shed some light on what step to take next."

"What are the Records?" I asked, frowning.

"They're where all the experiences of every soul, prophecies, and the Council's plans and discussions are documented. It doesn't exist physically, but we can tap into it based on what access we're given. It is how Bridges know about their Drifters' lives and death. Reapers have been around since the foundation of the Council. They naturally would've seen and known more than Adrian and me."

I thought it over. "How would we lure one to me?"

Adrian glared at me. "You're not seriously considering this?"

"What else can we do?" I reasoned.

Huffing, Adrian crossed his arms and leaned back in his seat. "Yes, please enlighten us."

"They can't resist a troubled or rebelling soul, so we'll make Evelyn push some rules, and the one who showed interest before should make an appearance. Adrian, you will be here, with me, using your connection to detect when it comes, and we'll monitor everything. When Evelyn get's something solid to go on, we'll intervene."

"That's an awful plan," Adrian stated.

"Unless you can think of something better, it's all we have."

"We're not putting Evelyn in danger." Adrian pressed through grit teeth.

"How about I make that decision for myself?" I turned to Leo. "How will you prevent this from turning out like last time?"

"Adrian will be listening in. Nothing will go unchecked, and I'll even leave it up to him about when to swoop in and save the day." Leo explained, grinning.

I bit my lip, turning to Adrian. "Can you do that?"

His eyes invaded mine. "Yes, but you don't have to do anything."

"I want to."

Leo clasped his hands together. "It's all settled then."

I didn't miss Adrian muttering under his breath.

***

Leo walked me through the directions once more.

"You're going to do everything in your power to try and reach Mike."

I frowned. "How will that get their attention?"

"Before when you tried it Adrian maintained a sort of a block. He kept you safe, but with him leaving you open and vulnerable, there will be nothing holding back the reaper."

Adrian crossed his arms, studying us. "You still don't have to do this."

I gave him a look. "We've been through this plenty of times, Adrian. I don't mind doing this, and I trust you. I know you won't let anything happen to me."