Chapter 23 - Sighting

Start from the beginning

The three travelers found a row for three, so they sat down and stored their belongings away. May brought out her phone and began reading a description of the Lake Spirit sighting. "It says that the Legendary Pokemon emerged from the lake, all in a triangle formation." She paused reading and didn't continue.

"What's wrong?" Serena asked. "Isn't there more?" May shook her head and said, "Nope. That's it. It looks like the person who reported it only got a quick sighting." She frowned and began thinking. "I guess we'll have to ask around for anything." Serena knew what was coming next when she saw May's face light up. "I know!" May exclaimed. "We can probably ask Ash! He helps out at a Laboratory so surely they must know something!"

Serena casually sighed. Looks like I'll have to see him again, she thought. Ironically, no matter how far I try to get from him, I end up getting closer. While Serena was sulking over the matter, Max was ecstatic. "Wait, Ash?" Max asked with gleaming eyes. "Why didn't you tell me we were going to see him, May?"

May smiled at Max and said, "I wanted it to be a surprise. I know how much you admire him, so I decided to keep it a secret." Max just smiled, happy that he decided to come along. May might've wanted him to stay home so he wouldn't be a bother, but she was always glad to see her brother happy.

Serena was caught off guard by Max asking her a question. "Do you know Ash, Serena? He's the coolest trainer ever!" He pumped his fists as he said this, awaiting an answer from Serena, who struggled to find an answer. Do I tell them? Serena thought. Do I tell them I know Ash? Right as she was about to answer, May answered for her.

"No, she doesn't, but I think if she got to know him they would be good friends." She huffed and closed her eyes. "But someone here doesn't want to meet him for some reason." She opened her eyes again and looked at Serena accusingly.

Serena just shrugged her shoulders and stared out the window to avoid further conversation about Ash. May and Max looked at each other and shrugged, confused at Serena's behavior. They both brought out books and began reading while they traveled to Vermillion City.

Serena began thinking about Contests again. I still need to get that fourth ribbon, she thought. Since my last attempt was cut short by a certain something. She glanced at her bag and was relieved to see no activity from the crystal; a welcome change. May just seems so focused on this right now, but it's kind of weird. She looked at May, who had her eyes closed. Why is she so focused on this?

Serena's thought process came to a stop when she felt the plane slow down, coming to a stop on the ground. She hadn't even heard the announcement that they were landing soon, and apparently, neither had May or Max. "We're already here?" May asked quietly, as other people seemed to also be quietly chattering amongst themselves in confusion.

Suddenly, Serena heard the crackling of the speakers that produced a voice. "We're sorry for the sudden stop. We are currently landed due to a foreign object sighted in the sky. Please wait patiently while we assess the situation. Thank you for riding on Pidgeot Airlines!" With those words, the speakers cut out, leaving confused passengers to their imagination.

"Maybe it's a new Pokemon," said one guy. "It might just be a flock of Fearow!" claimed another guy. "I think it's just a false alarm." said one woman matter-of-factly. Serena turned to Max and May, who both just shrugged their shoulders cluelessly, as they had no idea what the issue was either.

Serena pulled out her phone in an attempt to figure out what was causing all this mayhem. She searched for the latest news and saw an article about an object that was seen high in the air. Max peeked onto her phone and saw a picture along with a small article describing the object. "It looks green!" he exclaimed. "Almost like a Rayquaza!"

May chuckled and said, "Really Max? A Rayquaza?" in an exasperated manner. Max puffed his cheeks and retaliated by saying, "I never said it was a Rayquaza! Sheesh." He looked back at Serena's phone and began reading the article.

"Reports say a small green object is floating high in the sky and was spotted just minutes ago." He frowned, not sure about what the object could be, so he continued reading. "It appears the object has a yellow dot on itself and is shaped like a worm-like Pokemon. Please be cautious of your surroundings and be safe." He finished reading and all three of them sat there in silence, thinking about what the object could be.

Serena saw an attached image and decided to zoom in, wanting to get a closer look. Huh, that looks oddly familiar, she thought. The description of the object was spot on, as there was a yellow dot, and was shaped like a Caterpie or Weedle. It almost looks like Squishy! She silently gasped as she continued looking at the image.

It had to be Squishy; the similarities were too close to be a coincidence. Max and May were discussing with each other what it could be, but Serena knew what it was. "Guys," she whispered. "I figured out what the object is." May and Max turned their heads to her and began rapidly asking her what it was and how she knew.

Serena sighed, not knowing exactly how to explain it. "It's called a Zygarde Cell. Have you heard of that?" May and Max shook their heads. Serena continued to try to explain. "It's a powerful Pokemon that was used for evil purposes a while ago in Kalos." She could recall the Kalos Crisis like it was yesterday as she replayed the events in her head.

"An evil organization called Team Flare used their power to try to reset the world, but everyone stopped them. Ever since then, the Zygarde cell has been secluded deep in the forests." She looked back at the picture. "Until now."

Max and May had a lot of questions and were about to ask them when the speakers began crackling. "We may ask that everyone please evacuate the airplane with their belongings. It will be a few days until we are airborne again, so it is advised to walk to the nearest airport or your destination. We were able to land near a major road, so please use that as your guide. We are incredibly sorry for this inconvenience and wish everyone a safe trip! Thank you for flying on Pidgeot Airlines!"

The announcement hadn't even finished before multiple passengers began expressing their concerns and complaints. While Serena, May, and Max were perfectly fine with walking, most people weren't. The flight attendant appeared at the front of the plane in an attempt to reason with people and calm them down, and it surprisingly worked.

"Look," the attendant began. "I know you all want to get to your destination quickly, but there is a serious threat in the sky, so we please ask you all to get off, for our sake and yours." She had a hint of stress in her voice as she disappeared back into the front of the plane.

The passengers obliged after hearing the sincerity in the attendant's voice and began lining up to get off. Serena simply watched as people got off, urging May and Max that they go as well. The siblings nodded and grabbed their belongings, making their way through the crowd and out into the fresh air.

The sky glared at Serena as she exited the plane and stepped onto the grass the plane had landed on. Looking around, she only saw never-ending plains and the blue sky; she tried to locate the Zygarde cell but realized it was too high up to even see from the ground. This place looks beautiful, she thought. But where is the road?

May began expressing the same concern as she touched the sprawling grass. "Where's the path?" She asked. "I thought there was a path nearby?" Max wasn't far behind May and began looking for it until he saw a beaten-down road barely out of view. "Over there!" he exclaimed, pointing towards the horizon.

Serena couldn't believe how far it was and turned to the other passengers who saw the road and also were in disbelief. She turned towards May and Max and said, "Well, I guess we have quite a walk ahead of us!" She began her trek towards the road that would lead to Vermillion City. May and Max looked at each other and nodded, following Serena close behind.